WISE Learners’ Voice Program in Qatar and Spain 2016-17 (All Expenses Covered)
Deadline: March 31, 2016
Applications and nominations are now invited for the 2016 WISE Learners’ Voice Program! WISE is now looking for the next cohort of outstanding young learners to join this growing global community. The successful Learners will be expected to attend the activities in Doha in November-December 2016 and will be involved in year-long activities throughout 2017.
In addition to this, the WISE Learners’ Voice Program requires your individual commitment, attendance and full participation in two mandatory residential sessions. The first will take place from January 2–13, 2017 in Doha, Qatar, and the second from May 28 – June 10, 2017 in Madrid, Spain.
About the Program
The WISE Learners’ Voice Program brings the perspectives of young people to the challenge of rethinking education, and equips them to take on leading roles in their fields and in the world of education. The Program is based on the idea that when learners are co-creators of their learning environments, they become active participants invested as stakeholders in the progress of their communities. The Program focuses on building knowledge of education, social entrepreneurship, leadership, and communication skills.
The Learners’ Voice Program was established in 2010 to engage the views and creative energies of young people in addressing pressing global education issues and challenges. The current Learners’ Voice community comprises over 130 Learners from all over the world. They represent different backgrounds and disciplines but all share a passion for education. Together they represent a unique perspective within the WISE community.
WISE – Qatar Foundation will cover all program-related expenses, including flights and accommodation, for the selected Learners.
- Age and status: Participants must be between the ages of 18 and 25 on December 1, 2016. All applicants must be considered legal adults in their home country.
- Availability: Participants must be able to travel to Doha, Qatar, and be able and willing to participate in the full, mandatory WISE Learners’ Voice event in November/December 2016.
- Participants must be willing to contribute to online discussions prior to the event and to work with the WISE Team to prepare for your full engagement.
- Participants must be able to take part in two mandatory residential sessions from January 2– 13, 2017 in Doha, Qatar, and May 28 – June 10, 2017 in Madrid, Spain.
- Attendance and participation in the mandatory sessions is critical. By submitting the form you are acknowledging these terms and committing to them.
- Continued involvement and participation: Participants must be able to continue their involvement with the Learners’ Voice Program throughout the year. This includes no-site, online and group activities.
- All participants must hold a passport that is valid for at least 18 months from 1 November 2016.
- Academic and professional competencies: All participants should be able to demonstrate their academic and/or professional achievements and experiences to date.
- Professional and wider interests: Participants should be able to demonstrate interest and/or involvement in education and other wider global development issues.
- Social engagement: All participants must be able to demonstrate their engagement in wider social networks or communities broadly associated with their studies and/ or professional interests.
- Character: Participants should be friendly, flexible and able to work well in multicultural, multinational teams.
- Communication skills: Participants should be comfortable with presenting and speaking in public. Participants should have strong active listening skills.
- Language skills: All participants should be proficient in spoken and written English.
- All nominators and applicants must agree to respect final selection decisions made by the WISE Team. No appeal or claim will be accepted. Should your application be unsuccessful you can apply/nominate again next year.
Your full attendance and participation is mandatory if you are to be considered for the program.
How to Apply
Learners can either apply individually or be nominated*. Both forms are evaluated through the same criteria and are considered equal. To nominate or apply, you need to create an account here and complete the online application.
- Individual application: Apply personally by submitting an online application form that must be endorsed by two referees (these should be individuals who know you in a professional capacity such as through work or school).
- Nominate a learner to take part in the Program, representatives of institutions, organizations, programs and networks around the world are invited to nominate learners with outstanding academic/personal/professional experiences to participate in the WISE Learners’ Voice Program. WISE is seeking to form a group of individuals from diverse educational paths and cultural backgrounds.
*Please do not submit more than one nomination form and/or one application form per Learner. Completed forms should be submitted through the online portal by March 31, 2016, 18.00 GMT.
For questions, contact the WISE Team firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information visit, WISE Learner’s Voice.