Model Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Switzerland Spin-off 2017 (Funding Available)
Deadline: January 15, 2017
Applications are invited for the Model ASEM Summit in Switzerland Spin-off 2017, a one-day negotiation simulation of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit. ASEM is a process of dialogue and cooperation bringing together the 28 European Union member states, 2 other European countries, and the European Union with 21 Asian countries and the ASEAN Secretariat. The ASEM dialogue addresses political, economic and socio-cultural issues in an informal setting, with the objective of strengthening the relationship between the two regions, in a spirit of mutual respect and equal partnership.
The Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off is organised by: the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, in partnership with: DiploFoundation, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), MUN EPFL and supported by: the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), contributing to: the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM).
- During the simulation, you will be part of a diplomatic delegation, represent one of the 53 ASEM partners and play the role of a Head of State or ASEM leader and debate political, economic and socio-cultural issues with your counterparts from Asia and Europe.
- The Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off 2017 invites students from Swiss universities for a first-hand experience of the ASEM process. You and your fellow participants will negotiate a draft text of the ASEM Chair’s Statement and adopt it in a plenary session, while representing one ASEM partner.
- Through role-play, research, case-studies, and practical training, you will get a chance to improve your diplomatic, negotiation, consensus-building, and public speaking skills, while getting feedback from practitioners in the room.
- The best negotiators will be invited to the 8th Model ASEM which will take place in Myanmar in November 2017 in conjunction with the 13th ASEM Foreign Ministers‘ Meeting (ASEM FMM13).
- On 1 February 2017 you will start with an online preparatory phase. You will research your country’s position and learn about ASEM and diplomatic negotiations.
- The Simulation will take place on 1 March 2017. During the one-day simulation, you will work towards agreeing on the ASEM Chair’s Statement in small group negotiations and a plenary discussion.
Costs and Scholarship
There is no registration or participation fee. Meals will be provided during the day. We have a small fund to support travel and accommodation costs. If needed, you can apply for travel reimbursement and accommodation when filling out the application form.
- between the ages of 18 and 30
- a citizen (passport holder) of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting countries (check here for an overview of the countries)
- registered at any University in Switzerland
- be fluent in English (the negotiation will be conducted entirely in English)
- ready to start the online preparatory phase on February 1st (requiring approx. 15 hours of study and preparation over the month of February)
To apply, complete the online application before January 15, 2017.
For more information, visit Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off.