Anthony Lewis Prize for Exceptional Rule of Law Journalism 2017
Deadline: May 28, 2017
Applications are on for the WJP Anthony Lewis Prize for Exceptional Rule of Law Journalism. The Anthony Lewis Prize acknowledges journalists from around the world who have contributed to increased awareness and understanding of the foundational importance of the rule of law. Why Recognize Reporting on the Rule of Law? Effective rule of law reduces corruption, combats poverty and disease, and protects people from injustices large and small. It is the foundation for communities of peace, opportunity, and equity—underpinning development, accountable government, and respect for fundamental rights. Traditionally, the rule of law has been viewed as the domain of lawyers and judges. But everyday issues of safety, rights, justice, and governance affect us all; everyone is a stakeholder in the rule of law.
About Anthony Lewis
Anthony Lewis (1927 – 2013), a friend and inspiration to the World Justice Project, was a Pulitzer Prize-winning author and journalist credited with transforming legal journalism in the United States. Lewis covered the Supreme Court, the Justice Department, and legal affairs for The New York Times in addition to serving as a columnist as well as the paper’s London bureau chief. He is the author of five books, including Gideon’s Trumpet, which describes James Earl Gideon’s landmark U.S. Supreme Court case concerning the right to legal counsel. Lewis’ reporting on the establishment of the Constitutional Court in post-apartheid South Africa helped inspire the creation of the World Justice Project. He was also an active participant at WJP’s first regional meeting in 2007.
- The winner of the prize will receive $10,000 USD
- The prize will be awarded to a currently working journalist (or a team of journalists working on an in-depth series) who has demonstrated excellence in rule of law reporting;
- The journalist’s work (as demonstrated through key examples of their writing) will be judged on how effectively they have contributed to increased awareness and understanding of the foundational importance of the rule of law;
- Nominees can be from any country in the world, but entries must be in English or have been translated into English;
- Anyone can nominate a journalist, including self-nominations/applications.
To nominate a journalist, please send an email with the following information:
- Name of journalist;
- Contact information, if known;
- Key examples of work, including recent work (send working links or attach PDF). Please include English translations if the writing is not originally in English;
- Reason you believe this journalist’s writing has demonstrated excellence in rule of law reporting and has directly contributed to increased awareness and understanding of the foundational importance of the rule of law;
- Your name;
- Your email address
Email nominations or questions to [email protected] Please include “Anthony Lewis Prize” in the subject line. The winner of the WJP 2017 Anthony Lewis Prize for Exceptional Rule of Law Journalism will be announced in July 2017.
For more information, visit Anthony Lewis Prize.