Daniel Pearl Fellowship for Mid-level Journalist 2018 (Fully funded to USA)
Deadline: August 31, 2017
Apply now for the Daniel Pearl Fellowship for Mid-level Journalist 2018. The fellowship program begins in March 2018 with a two-week orientation seminar in Washington, DC designed to prepare the fellows – both personally and professionally – for the challenges of living and working in the United States. At the middle of the program, fellows and staff come together for a week to attend seminars focused on writing, editing, multimedia reporting and investigative reporting/Computer Assisted Reporting. A final seminar in Washington reunites the fellows and allows them to compare and evaluate their experiences and discuss their impressions of the American media.
Fellows return to their home countries in late August 2018 to begin sharing their knowledge and skills with colleagues, editors and publishers in their home newsrooms. In addition, the Daniel Pearl Fellows spend a week at The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles, where they work closely with Jewish colleagues. While in Los Angeles, they also participate in a panel discussion open to the public about their experiences in the United States and how America is perceived from abroad.
- To provide the fellow with experience in reporting, writing, editing, and editorial decision-making that will enhance future professional performance;
- To expose the fellow to the technological changes that are occurring in the industry;
- To enable the fellow to gain a practical understanding of the function and significance of the free press in American society;
- To transfer knowledge gained on the program to colleagues at home;
- To foster continuing ties between free press institutions and journalists in the United States and their counterparts in other countries.
- The fellowship covers all costs of program-related international and domestic U.S. travel, health insurance and provides a monthly stipend to cover basic living expenses. It is highly recommended that fellows bring additional money with them.
- While family members may visit, they cannot accompany the fellow for the duration of the fellowship.
- Open to journalists who are citizens of Muslim-majority countries;
- Should be current full-time employment as a journalist for the news or editorial departments of independent newspapers, magazines, wire services, or online publications of general public interest;
- Have at least three years of full-time professional experience as a journalist;
- Early to mid-career status and between 25 and 35 years old;
- A demonstrated personal commitment to a career in journalism;
- Ability and desire to share what is learned on the fellowship with other journalists at home;
- Endorsement from the management of the home news organization;
- An excellent command of both written and spoken English as all activities are conducted in English.
Apply now to partake in this fellowship.
Re-applicants: Please contact [email protected] to request an application.
For more information visit Daniel Pearl Fellowship.