Call for Participants: The Commonwealth Training Course on “No Hate Speech” – London, UK (fully-funded)
Deadline: October 22, 2017
Applications are now open to join a course in London that builds the capacity of young people to counter hate speech and violent radicalisation. The Commonwealth Secretariat will host the five-day training of trainers to empower youth leaders from its member states to develop a youth led coordinated approach to address hate speech, and strengthen support for human rights and dialogue through non formal education and awareness raising actions. The course starts in London at the Commonwealth’s headquarters on November 27.
The No Hate Speech Movement is a youth campaign of the Council of Europe to promote human rights online, helping to ensure that hate speech is unacceptable. It also develops youth participation and citizenship on-line, including Internet governance processes.The campaign is running in 44 countries since its launch in 2012.
Delegates for next month’s course will include youth leaders, youth workers, educators and government officials who work with young people on peace-building, dialogue or human rights through awareness-raising and educational activities.
Cost and Benefits
- The Commonwealth Secretariat will provide funded participants with a return economy class ticket by the most direct route to London, UK.
- The Secretariat will also cover any incurred visa costs for funded participants.
- Funder participants will be provided will an allowance to cover additional meals and incidentals.
The training course will reflect the regional diversity of the Commonwealth and invites Commonwealth citizens whom are active as youth leaders or activists, youth workers, educators and government officials active with young people on peace building, dialogue or human rights through awareness-raising and educational activities. Special preference will be given to candidates whom are citizens of countries that experience violent extremism in one of its many forms.
Particular conditions, applicants must be:
- Commonwealth Citizen
- Youth Applicants should be between the ages of 18 and 29
- Submit a completed application by 22 October 2017
- Available for the full duration of the training course
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not attended a Commonwealth funded training session or workshop in the past year
If you would like to be considered as an applicant, you should download the application form below. Submissions need to be returned by 22 October 2017.
- You must be passionate about addressing hate speech
- You must be a Commonwealth citizen between 18 – 29 to apply
- All expenses will be paid, see Participants Information Form and Traveller Information Form.
Become a trainer:
If you would like to be considered as a paid trainer, you should see details here and apply by 16 October 2017.
For more information, visit Commonwealth Training on No Hate Speech.