Apply for the WTTC Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2018
Deadline: November 14, 2017
Applications are open for the WTTC Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2018. The Award is one of the world’s highest accolade in the Travel & Tourism sector, aimed at recognising best practice in sustainable tourism. Tourism for Tomorrow is tourism which optimises the economic, environmental, social and cultural impacts of the industry. It serves to engage both Travel & Tourism businesses and tourists with the people and the places they visit and acts as a force for good. Candidates can apply in one of the five categories: Community, Destination, Environment, Innovation or People.
- Community Award: Is for any Travel & Tourism organisation that is working to improve the lives and opportunities for communities where it operates. The award can be for an organisation that has worked exceptionally to enhance the capacity of the community, for community engagement, to provide health and education facilities, for the empowerment of local people and increasing the spread of benefits.
- Destination Award: Is about the places where tourism takes place. Typically, this will mean a region, state, city, town or national park that is working to create greater sustainability through its Travel & Tourism sector. The award can be for destinations that have worked exceptionally in any aspect of sustainability i.e. economically, socially, culturally, environmentall or politically. Applicants may include national, regional or local authorities, NGOs, businesses, or community organisations on behalf of the destination.
- Environment Award: Is for any Travel & Tourism organisation that is working to improve the natural environment through its practices. The award can be for an organisation that has worked exceptionally to improve bio-diversity, promote conservation, minimise use of scarce resources or developed mitigation and adaptation strategies for climate change.
- Innovation Award: Aims to identify future solutions to current sustainability challenges. The kind of innovation can relate to the process, product, delivery or financing of the approach, but it should be new to the world and not simply new to an organisation or destination. The award can be for projects that have worked exceptionally to develop an innovative solution to problems such as mitigating impact on climate change, reducing demands on scarce resources, promoting bio-diversity or improving health and well-being. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the cutting-edge features of their project.
- People Award: Is for any Travel & Tourism organisation, or partnership of organisations that are working to improve the career opportunities for people within the Travel & Tourism sector. The award can be for organisations that have worked exceptionally to enhance the capacity of individuals and groups of people to enter the Travel & Tourism sector, to aid the recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups, to develop skills for those already employed to advance in the sector and to offer fair employment practices.
Entering the Awards could earn your business the real credit it deserves. Becoming a finalist means:
- Corporate endorsement by a panel of internationally acclaimed experts in sustainable tourism;
- An invitation to the grand awards ceremony at the 18th WTTC Global Summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina April 18-19, 2018;
- Complimentary flights and accommodation to the ceremony in Buenos Aires;
- Outstanding international Media exposure;
- The opportunity to network with the leaders of the Travel & Tourism sector.
- All companies/organisations must have been in operation for at least three full years and the sustainable tourism project/initiative submitted for consideration must be in operation for at least one full year;
- There is no minimum length of time for applicants to have been in operation who are applying to the Innovation category.
Judging process is based on three-steps: Finalist Selection, On-site Visit by an expert and Winner Selection. An international team of 18-20 judges, representing a wide range of professional backgrounds and expertise in Travel & Tourism, first choose three finalists in each category to later decide on the winners.
- To start the process kindly register here.
- Once you register, you will be able to fill in your application, to double check, save along the way, and return to your application form multiple times before submitting.
- All entrants must supply contact details for two independent references. Referees may be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.
- The two referees should not be directly related to the project, but should be able to speak knowledgeably about the project if contacted.