New Media Ventures Innovation Fund Open Call 2018 (Up to $50-250K)
Deadline: February 2, 2018
New Media Ventures invites applications for the 7th Innovation Fund! This is a seed fund supporting media and tech startups that disrupt politics and catalyze progressive change. Are you ready to take your project to the next level? Apply now!
New Media Ventures is a seed fund and angel network investing in media and technology startups that support advocacy movements, create new narratives, and drive civic engagement. The NMV Innovation Fund finances early-stage, for-profit and nonprofit startups with seed funding ($50-250K). Selected startups receive virtual acceleration support and have access to NMV’s network of angel investors for follow-on capital, connections, and advice.
NMV is eager to support startups that are:
- Changing Hearts & Minds. We are living through an era of historic media disruption, with lasting implications for our personal, political, and civic lives. Whether you’re focused on increasing empathy, strengthening journalism, shaping narratives, leveraging new content platforms, or developing tools for listening, analytics and amplification… they want to hear from you. They’re also eager to hear about new business models that reward quality and engagement, solutions that elevate new and diverse voices, and creative distribution strategies to ensure content reaches new audiences, beyond echo chambers.
- Building Movements for the Future. Civic engagement is on the rise, and movements for justice are gaining traction across the US, but our technology and tools often remain stuck in the past. Are you building technology or tools that mobilize citizens, make campaigns more efficient, or blend digital and grassroots organizing? They can’t wait to hear about your work. We’re especially interested in tools for distributed and networked movements, technology that helps coordinate volunteers, campaigns, and candidates, and innovations that facilitate conversations and decision-making.
Applications selected for funding will receive the following:
- $50k to $250k in funding. We typically make investments in for-profits and give unrestricted grants to non-profits.
- Selected startups receive virtual acceleration support and introductions to NMV’s network of angel investors for follow-on capital, connections and advice
- The opportunity to participate in NMV’s Summit, a unique convening of funders, investors, entrepreneurs, and thought leaders.
- New Media Ventures typically funds for-profit and nonprofit technology and media startups.
- They will consider funding a new project within an existing organization as well.
- The Innovation Fund is best suited for early-stage startups (pre-seed/seed stage) for which $50-250K in funding can make a meaningful difference.
- They currently only support projects that are making an impact in the U.S. They will consider supporting projects led outside of the U.S., but that are seeking to enter the U.S. market.
They are looking for:
- Fiscal structure agnostic: They will consider funding both for-profits and nonprofits (including 501c3, 501c4 and 527 groups).
- Scalable with a proof of concept: They prefer ventures with an existing user base (even if they are only beta users), demonstrated proof of concept, and a clear plan for generating revenue and growth.
- Strong, diverse team: They look for leadership teams that have both the technical and business talent to create something great and then sell it, and who understand their customer base intimately.
- Mission-driven: New Media Ventures invests in progressive change. They care about environmental protection, economic equality, racial justice, and a thriving democracy.
Apply now and spread the word!
For more information, visit New Media Ventures Innovation Fund.