Cove Park Literature Residencies for Writers 2018 in Glasgow, Scotland (Stipend Available)
Deadline: December 11, 2017
Application for the Cove Park Literature Residencies 2018 is now open. The residency programme provides the time and support for artists to focus exclusively upon their own practice. The emphasis is upon research, experimentation and the development of new work. The writers will be part of a changing group of national and international residents specialising in a wide variety of art forms.
Resident artists are invited to take part in a series of informal studio presentations, talks, screenings and dinners organised by Cove Park throughout the summer programme. Artists may also have the opportunity to contribute to ‘Hands-On Cove Park’ a new public educational and participatory programme of events and activities.
In 2018 Cove Park will award a minimum of three funded Literature Residencies for writers established in their field of between one to three months each. In addition Cove Park will offer a four-week residency for an Emerging Writer based in Scotland. Cove Park will also offer a minimum of one funded Translation Residency of four weeks. The Residencies take place during May to September 2018 – within this period residency dates are negotiable.
- Residents receive a £400 (US$525) fee per week in addition to the use of Cove Park’s facilities include self-catering accommodation, a communal meeting space, library, archive, computer suite and a stunning 50-acre site.
- Residents are responsible for their own travel costs to and from Cove Park, except for the International Writer and the Translation Resident whose pre-agreed standard travel will be paid by Cove Park.
- Open to established writers in any of the following genres: adult fiction, memoir, poetry, biography. Writers who cross or combine these genres are also welcome to apply;
- To be eligible, writers should have published, with a traditional publisher, at least one book;
- Writers who are established with a strong track record in one genre and wish to develop or experiment in another where they are not established are welcome to apply;
- Applicants for the Scottish Emerging Writer residency need not have published a book, but must show exceptional promise;
- Applicants to the Translation Residency should have a commission to translate a Scottish book into their chosen language. ‘Scottish’ means the author who may be living or dead, was born or lives/has lived in Scotland, or the book takes Scotland as its central subject, or is published by a publisher based in Scotland.
Writers will be selected for interview based on the following criteria:
- The quality of your ideas and work.
- Your need for a period of research and development and your reasons for applying to this residency program.
- Your interest in working within a community of artists.
Applicants should submit the following information:
- Postal, e-mail and website addresses, daytime and evening contact telephone number(s). Please include this information in a covering e-mail when submitting your application;
- In the subject heading of your covering e-mail, please state the residency category that you are applying for: National (UK), International, Scottish Emerging Writer, Translation;
- A brief statement (no more than two sides of A4) describing:
- Your current artistic practice;
- The reasons for your interest in this residency;
- How the opportunity will impact upon your work and development.
- A current CV with the names and contact details of two professional referees (please note: Cove Park will only contact your referees if your application is shortlisted for interview).
- A sample of work. If prose no more than 3000 words; if poetry no more than 20 poems. If appropriate a sensible combination of both may be sent. Please do not send books at this stage.
Please send your application to [email protected] They would prefer not to receive applications by post. However, if for some reason you are unable to email your application, you can post it to:
Literature Residencies 2018
Cove Park, Peaton Hill, Cove, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, G84 0PE
Enclose a SAE if you would like to receive acknowledgement of receipt
For more information, visit Cove Park Literature Residencies.