Are you an App Developer? Do you know what young women need in developing countries? This is an opportunity for you to submit your app and get huge benefits. Submissions are invited for the Global Apps to Empower Women competition
‘Apps to Empower’ aims to build apps for the next billion. They are seeking apps that inform, educate and empower women everywhere. Your app must fall into one of the following criteria;
- leadership and mentorship,
- conflict resolution,
- jobs and entrepreneurship
- education and
- anything out-of-the box
The Competition is open only to individuals who are 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry.
The following are NOT eligible to enter or win the Competition:
- employees, officers, directors and contractors of the Sponsors, and any member of their immediate family (i.e., a spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild of the entrant) or household of any of the foregoing individuals; and
- any member of the immediate family (i.e., a spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild of the entrant) or household of any judge.
- Applications must be approved by the Partners before becoming available on the Datawind tablet, BluWorld portal and elsewhere. The apps should be developed for the following technical specifications:
- Android 2.2 Froyo OS
- 366MHz Arm11 Processor
- All app submissions should be fully baked apps ready to be installed and used on a device
Incentives and Benefits for Winners
- The top 5 applications submitted will be featured on the Ubislate series of tablet devices and at the BluWorld portal, and promoted through a global alliance of technology firms, foundations and United Nations organizations.
- Cash prizes of US$2,500 will be awarded to the winning app in each of the four categories (Leadership/Mentorship; Conflict Resolution; Education/Out of the Box; Entrepreneurship/Jobs).
Apps will be judged on the following criteria:
- Relevance: Value addition to a young woman’s life
- Usability: Ease of Use/Intuitiveness/User Experience
- Innovation/Creativity: Originality of thought and execution
- Ability to Solve Problem Statement: How well the submission addresses the problem
- Each individual or Team that submits a Submission (each “Applicant”) must retain a copy of the Submission. Sponsors are not responsible for, and each Applicant specifically releases Sponsors from any claims or liability relating to, any loss or damage to the Applicant’s Submission. No entries will be returned.
- Security: Submissions must be free of malware. Contestant agrees that testing can be conducted on the application to determine whether malware or other security threats may be present. The application can be disqualified if in our judgment, the application may damage any equipment or operating environments.
Once a submission is made, the contestant cannot make any changes or alterations to any part of the submission. Read the rules carefully before applying.
For more information, click here.