Deadline: February 4, 2012
International Organization for Migration (IOM) Tunisia is looking for a Labour Migration/Migration and Development Intern to work with them for six (6) months.
IOM International Organization for Migration OIM Organisation Internationale pour les Migrations
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Programme Intern (LM / MD)
Duty Station: Tunis, Tunisia
Code: VA N° TN 2013-02
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Programme Unit and the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission in Tunis, and in strict coordination with the Senior Programme Assistant, the successful candidate will support the implementation and monitoring of Labour Migration and Migration & Development projects at IOM Tunisia, including “Youth, Employment and Migration” (YEM), “Stabilizing at-risk communities and enhancing migration management to enable smooth transitions in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya” (START), and “Mainstreaming Migration into Development Planning”.
- Assist staff to establish and implement grant disbursement, reporting and monitoring mechanisms, including a comprehensive tracking system to monitor grants and ensure that relevant documentation can be made available upon request;
- Assist staff in the preparation of briefings and reports, both thematic and on specific projects, as required;
- Assist staff in the coordination and submission of timely narrative and financial progress and periodic reports with the IOM mission’s finance/RM department;
- Assist in the organization of international and national seminars, meetings and training sessions – as required by the projects – taking care of all administrative and logistical details, in close consultation with staff, and assisting the latter in the development of the methodological and substantive details;
- Assist in organizing project related communications including: drafting and sending, in consultation with the staff, outgoing and receiving incoming documents (correspondence, minutes, memos, reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.); updating mailing lists;
- Professionally handle project related documents (i.e. assisting in keeping accurate records of daily correspondence, organizing and maintaining proper filing of all project related documents, as requested by staff) and collecting project related information and submitting it to the supervisor as required;
- Assist staff in reviewing micro projects documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission; identify inconsistencies; assist in distributing project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
- Assist in the monitoring of and follow up on micro projects and progress of grantees, as requested;
- Assist the supervisor and liaise with relevant units in the procurement of the goods and services necessary for the implementation of the project activities, in compliance with IOM procurement rules and regulations;
- Compile, summarize and enter data on project delivery; draft related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and bring to the attention of senior programme assistant and supervisor;
- Translate project related documents, identify professional translation services, if need be;
- Contribute to maintain office handbook in an up-to-date form, including directories of central and local governmental institutions and officials, diplomatic missions, international agencies and projects present in the country, NGOs, etc.;
- Undertake site visits and duty travel as required;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- completed a university degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Development, Economics, Political or Social Sciences or Law;
- a completed advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Development, Economics, Political or Social Sciences or Law is desirable
- demonstrated interest in working in development; demonstrated ability to manage complex portfolios considered an asset;
- sound knowledge of financial and administrative management skills are an advantage.
Languages: Native or near-native in French; English fully fluent. Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
For more information, click here.