Deadline: October 20, 2013
Are you interested in living a year in Latin America? Do you know at least basic Spanish? Are you ready to join a global network of inspired individuals? Apply now for the Atlas Corps Year-Long Teaching Fellowship in Colombia.
The Atlas Corps 2014 Volunteers COLOMBIA Fellowship is an 11-month (January – December 2014) English teaching opportunity in Colombia for emerging professionals. This opportunity is a new collaboration between Volunteers COLOMBIA and Atlas Corps to facilitate the development of a prosperous Colombia where children and youth have the opportunity to receive a high-quality bilingual education. The model builds on the success of both organizations—together, they have engaged more than 300 volunteers in long-term professional experience overseas.
Through this initiative, Fellows serve at Host Organizations working on issues that complement their expertise. Fellows learn leadership skills in an international context while inspiring English language skills in Colombian youth. In addition to full-time teaching, Fellows participate in ongoing professional development activities offered by Atlas Corps through the Global Leadership Lab and Volunteers COLOMBIA.
Benefits for this prestigious 11-month (10 months of active service and 1 months of holiday over the course of the experience) fellowship program, include a living stipend, health insurance, teacher training, and ongoing professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English language skills, as native language proficiency or equivalent
- Spanish language skills, at basic level or higher (we encourage all levels of Spanish to apply)
- Interest in serving in an educational environment (we will provide the methodology, you provide the inspiration and energy)
- 35 years or younger
- Ability to commit to 11 months of service from January 12 through December 15, 2014
- Teach and/or co-teach with a local Colombia English instructor 25 hours per week of English instruction, including teaching, co-teaching, and conversation clubs
- Participate in a two-way learning process in about 15 hours per week to improve English proficiency, which may include administrative-related activities, such as lesson planning, meetings with fellow teachers, paperwork, etc.
- Attend Volunteers Colombia and Atlas Corps training days, schedule will coordinate with placement site.
- Develop reports and follow up processes, as the supervisor requires.
- Before arrival the applicant must pay a 250 USD deposit, which Volunteers Colombia will refund to the applicant as part of the first stipend payment.
- Applicants must pay for their own flight tickets for travel to and from Colombia.
- Stipend of $800 USD/month month (To support the 10 months of direct teaching service at the SENA placement sites—Fellows receive a month of holidays over the course of the year as mentioned under “Length”)
- Stipend Bonus #1 is $250 USD after completing the first semester
- Stipend Bonus #2 is $750 USD after completing the entire program successfully
- Local health insurance provided by Volunteers Colombia
- Housing: Volunteers Colombia can provide housing for participants. Around $300 USD will be deducted from the stipend if Fellows elect to have housing provided.
- Atlas Corps Global Network: Fellows enroll in the Atlas Corps, which includes more than 200 individuals from 54 countries, ongoing access to in-person and virtual professional development, preferred registration and access to scholarships to attend top international convenings (such as Clinton Global Initiative, NEXUS: Global Youth Summit, Social Good Summit, and more)
NOTE: Application deadline is October 20, 2013, to be considered for placement in January 2014.
For more information, click here.