European Central Bank Traineeship at Frankfurt, Germany
Deadline: December 2, 2013
The Accounting and Procurement Division and the Financial Reporting and Policy Division of the European Central Bank (ECB) are both seeking applications from recent graduates or students who are close to completing their studies to participate in a traineeship for a period of six months. The traineeship aims to give successful applicants the opportunity to gain experience in the day-to-day operations of some of the ECB’s administrative functions.
- The Accounting and Procurement Division is responsible for maintaining the general ledger, recording and processing payments, conducting all related tax activities and maintaining the fixed asset accounts, as well as for advising on, overseeing and monitoring ECB procurement activities.
- The Financial Reporting and Policy Division is responsible for producing the financial statements of the ECB and the Eurosystem, as well as the accounts relating to the ECB’s financial assets. It also provides the ECB and the European System of Central Banks with expertise in the fields of financial analysis and accounting policy.
As a candidate you should meet a number of conditions of admission:
- be at least 18 and be fluent in English and in another official language of the union;
- be a national of a member state of the union or of an acceding state;
- have completed at least a first cycle qualification (bachelor’s degree);
- and since your most recent qualification:
- you should have a maximum of 12 months’ professional experience
- you should have been a trainee for no more than 6 months
- you must not have been an ECB trainee or worked for the ECB. The same applies for those who are working or have worked for the ECB (e.g. as staff members, consultants, agency staff)
- As a candidate you may submit supporting documentation i.e. letter(s) of recommendation from employers or professors. If you do so, please upload them directly in the electronic application form.
Qualifications and experience
Applicants must have the following knowledge and competencies:
- The traineeship is aimed at students who have just finished, or are close to completing university studies (Bachelor or Master’s) with a specialisation in the field of accounting, finance or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of financial markets and financial instruments would be an asset.
- Advanced command of English with proven drafting ability;
- A good knowledge of at least one other official language of the EU; for the traineeship with the Accounting and Procurement Division, a basic command of German would be an asset;
- A working knowledge of MS Office, in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
If you are selected, ECB will offer you a contract for a period between 3 to 6 months, which may be prolonged once up to a total of 12 months.
ECB will also offer you a grant of either €1050 or €1900 per month, depending on the tasks you will be expected to perform and on your relevant qualifications (unless otherwise stated in the vacancy).
How to apply
Applications are to be made in English and submitted using our online application form. An “Applicants’ Guide” can be downloaded from our recruitment pages.
The recruitment process may include a pre-screening exercise and a telephone interview. Before applying, applicants should check that they meet the conditions set out in Article 3 of the rules governing the traineeship programme.
NOTE: To enable the recruiting Division to fulfil its function, the successful applicant may occasionally be expected to work non-standard hours. Traineeship of 6 months, with the possibility of an extension to up to 12 months in total.
For more information, click here.
Download the ECB Traineeship Call for Applications here.