Job Opening at Amnesty International for the position of a Regional Activism and Youth Coordinator in Johannesburg
Deadline: May 4, 2014
Directorate:Campaigns and Communications
Amnesty International is looking for interested and passionate individual for the post of a Regional Activism and Youth Coordinator in the Johannesburg Hub Office.
- Monitor and analyze political, and civil society developments within the region in relation to activism and youth mobilization for campaigning and make recommendations for campaign development and actions
- Coordinate on the development and implementation of regional activism and youth strategies and plans
- Support the sections, structures and other AI entities in developing and implementing national level campaigning, activism and/or youth Strategies, plans and projects for human rights impact
- Advise Hub staff and sections/structures on the active participation of activists, including young people, and rights holders in campaign planning, implementation and evaluation
- Campaigning, Activism and Youth Mobilization
- Contribute to the organization, coordination and implementation of regional actions
- Contribute to the research, development and delivery of effective activism techniques based on an analysis of current trends in activism, social change and public engagement
- Manage and communicate, as appropriate, the activism and youth related information at the regional level for effective decision making at Hub and movement level
- Advice and Capacity Building Support
- Provide professional advice to the researchers, campaigners and other colleagues at the regional Hubs, sections, structures and other AI entities in mobilizing young people, members, supporters and activists for the global, tactical, regional and national campaigns and in strategic campaign planning and participatory approaches and tools in campaigning
- In conjunction with the Activism Unit, lead on the design and delivery of campaigning and activism capacity building projects for the hub staff and sections and structures
- Share and promote good practice in youth mobilization and leadership development, activism and campaigning techniques amongst the IS and section and structure campaigners and activism staff
- Project Coordination
- Coordinate on the development of regional level campaigning, activism and youth projects and budgets
- Contribute to the development of global campaigning, activism and youth projects
- Coordinate or directly implement project activities against agreed objectives and manage budgets
- Support monitoring and evaluation of the projects as appropriate
- Provide timely reports on these projects to the colleagues and the management
- Network/ Community of Practice Maintenance Working in conjunction with the Activism Unit, service and support the regional segment of the global networks and/or regional networks related to campaigning, activism and youth e.g. Activism Network, Regional Youth Network, Global Youth Coordinators Network, and Active Participation Community of Practice
- Standards and Quality Control Contribute to the development of policies, global standards, Key Performance Indicators, guidelines, good practices related to activism, active participation and youth work and ensure compliance of these policies, standards and guidelines by sections, structures and other AI entities
- Public Representation Represent AI to membership, activists, other NGOs, partners, networks and at regional campaigning, activism and youth meetings
- Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment In conjunction with the colleagues in the Activism Unit and Hubs coordinate monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment of agreed projects
- Experience in Youth Work:Strong experience of mobilizing youth and capacity building in multinational settings. The ability to find and mobilize resources to support the building of youth constituency at the regional and national level. Sensitive to the needs and opportunities and constraints of a worldwide membership organization in relation to youth work.
- Knowledge and experience of campaigning: Knowledge of strategic campaigning, campaigning methods and tactics and experience of supporting the development of campaign strategies. Experience of writing motivating and inspiring campaign materials for a diverse range of target audiences and of communicating campaign messages and organizational positions effectively.
- Knowledge and experience of activism and membership organizations: Understanding of what motivates members to take action, the support they need and the importance of feedback. Good understanding of the implications of developing campaigning and activism strategies for implementation by membership in many different countries, and sensitivity to different cultures and backgrounds. Experience of using online and offline activism techniques to achieve campaign objectives. Direct experience of coordinating networks and organizing events. Ability to use participatory approaches, methodologies and tools in campaigning and when working with others.
- Experience of project coordination: Ability to adopt a systematic approach to work in an organization, including experience of scheduling, planning and managing several projects at the same time and involving a wide range of people and activities across various teams; managing conflicting demands and meeting tight deadlines. Experience of tracking project expenditure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: Ability to work effectively as a member of a team; Able to establish good working relationships with colleagues from a variety of cultures and backgrounds, both within the organisation and the wider movement. Fluent written and spoken English and French for Africa and Spanish for Latin America is essential. Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment: working with colleagues and partners based around the world, including the global north and global south.
- Experience in delivering training and presentations: Experience or skills in facilitating and coordinating workshops and meetings. Political judgment and strategic planning: Ability to identify the information needed to make a judgement, identifying the position of potentially influential actors and alternative courses of action.
- Equality Statement: Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff, volunteers and interns are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
- Conflict of Interest: Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with AI’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
For more information, click here.