2015 TSL Annual International Schools Essay Competition and Debate
Deadline: January 23, 2015
As the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development draws to a close, the Trust for Sustainable Living is inviting school children around the world to share their ideas on the future of sustainability education, and how we can achieve them. The 2015 International Schools Essay Competition and Debate will focus on the future of education for sustainable development.
Trophies will be awarded for the top five prizes in each category (Primary and Secondary) and one overall Grand Prize winner will receive an amazing free trip to the UK for up to three people.
Trophies for 1st to 5th Places will be awarded in each category (Primary and Secondary) and one overall Grand Prize Winner (plus Teacher Champion and Parent) will receive a free trip to the 2015 TSL International Schools Debate and Awards in the UK (7-10 July 2015). All participating schools will be invited to attend the Schools Debate and related events.
The competition and debate are aimed at:
- primary students (ages 7-11)
- secondary students (ages 11-17)
- teachers in both formal and home schools.
Essay Competition Requirements
Students are invited to write an essay outlining their vision for the future of sustainability education, in English, as follows:
- Primary students: My vision for sustainability education (max. 400 words)
- Secondary students: My vision for sustainability education and ideas on how to achieve it (max. 600 words)
An international panel of judges, drawn from experts and educationalists in the field, will select the winning entries for each age category.
- The essays will be judged for originality and creative thinking and the potential to contribute to a broad-ranging and constructive debate on Education for Sustainable Development.
- The winning essays will be published on the competition website.
- For each category, schools are invited to submit up to 30 essays online. (These must be submitted by the Teacher Champion, using the login details provided at registration.
- Paper and emailed copies cannot be accepted, and essays more than 10% above the word limit will be automatically rejected.)
International Schools Debate & Awards
The 2015 TSL International Schools Debate and Awards will take place at the Living Rainforest, Berkshire, UK. Each school will be represented by a team of up to two students, plus one Teacher Champion. Aside from the Grand Prize Winner, each participating school must cover its own costs.
Schools around the world are also invited to take the Schools Sustainability Challenge and submit a short video featuring their best sustainability projects. The winning school will be awarded a special Challenge Trophy and £500 (or equivalent) towards future projects.
To register, complete the School/Teacher registration
For more information, visit the International Schools Essay Competition and Debate.