African Leadership Academy Pre-university Program 2016
Deadline: October 31, 2015
Applications for the African Leadership Academy’s Class of 2016 are now open. African Leadership Academy (ALA) seeks to enroll the most outstanding young leaders from across Africa and around the world – ALA is not only looking for young people who are smart and and excel in the academic environment, we are looking for young people with the potential to lead and impact the world around them through their courage, initiative and innovation.
The Academy admits between 100 and 125 young leaders from across Africa each year for the two-year pre-university program, anchored on Entrepreneurial Leadership, African Studies, and Writing & Rhetoric. Students also take Cambridge A’level subjects as electives, alongside specialized research classes in the Sciences, Humanities and Creative Arts. The Academy is a boarding school; all students are accommodated and catered for at the Academy’s campus in Honeydew, Johannesburg, South Africa for the duration of their studies.
African Leadership Academy (ALA) seeks to transform Africa by developing a powerful network of over 6,000 leaders who will work together to address Africa’s greatest challenges, achieve extraordinary social impact and accelerate the continent’s growth. ALA identifies young leaders between the ages of 16-19 from across the continent with demonstrated leadership potential, a passion for Africa, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a track record of community service.
Eligibility and Requirements
ALA searches for young leaders across the continent between the ages of 16 and 19. Please note that ALA’s admissions team does not expect an applicant to be extraordinary in all five criteria; we seek students with a variety of interests, strengths, and backgrounds. Our admissions team will review applicants based on the following criteria (not listed in order of importance):
- Leadership Potential: We encourage you to share with us the activities in which you participate and the leadership roles you assume at home, in your school, or in your community, and we hope you will think critically about what “leadership” means to you.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Do you often think about how you can improve the world around you? Do you act when you see a need in your community? Do you enjoy thinking about new ideas and creating new products? We encourage you to celebrate your entrepreneurial spirit and share your entrepreneurial ideas with us.
- Commitment to Service: Are you passionate about uplifting your community? Do you dream of a world in which all people are able to realize their dreams? Have you demonstrated this passion at school or in your community? If so, please share with us how you plan to give back to your community and the world.
- Passion for Africa: Do you have an African dream? Are you excited by the idea of spending two years in a community of individuals from a wide range of cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, and religious backgrounds from across the continent? Are you excited about playing a role in making Africa a peaceful and prosperous continent?
- Academic Achievement: The Academic environment at ALA is very rigorous and challenging, therefore our selection committee will closely review scores from national examinations and the marks and comments on each applicant’s school reports to ensure that applicants are fully prepared to maximize the inter-disciplinary nature of the ALA curriculum.
* All applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, therefore applicants are advised to fill in the applications with the most accurate information and providing as much valuable detail as possible.
How to Apply
- You can apply through the online portal (preferred option) or download and print the applications. Please click on the links below.
For more information, visit African Leadership Academy.