Deadline: October 30, 2015
The International Social Science Council (ISSC) and the WZB Berlin Social Science Center invites
applications from social scientists around the world for the joint WZB-ISSC Global Fellowship Program.
The WZB-ISSC Global Fellowship Programme enables an outstanding early career social scientist from a developing country to spend four to six months in 2016 in the exciting and stimulating environment of an exceptional social science research organization in the heart of Germany. Besides allowing the Fellow to focus entirely on a dedicated research project, he/she is invited to participate in the intellectual life at the WZB. The Fellow will also become a member of the network of early career scientists the ISSC is building via its World Social Science Fellows programme
This fellowship aim to contribute towards building a new generation of outstanding social scientists in developing countries, who are willing and able to contribute to solving current global problems.
While in residence, the selected Fellow is required to:
- Conduct a public lecture or an academic seminar at the WZB
- Write or contribute towards an article or discussion paper that will appear in one of the WZB publications
- share his/her knowledge with the scientific community at his/her home country, as well as to contribute to the further development of the local science and education system. This could be achieved, for instance, through teaching Master’s or PhD level courses (where appropriate), based on the research done at the WZB.
- keep the WZB and ISSC informed of any publications that result from the research stay in Berlin.
Each fellow will receive:
- a grant for up to six months at a level commensurate with a German postdoctoral researcher, − a contribution to local accommodation (up to EUR 500 per month),
- Economy roundtrip ticket to and from Berlin,
- Workspace (equipped with PC, Internet and email access, telephone), as well as full library privileges and additional technical services
How to Apply
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- A letter of motivation, including the preferred timing of the research stay at the WZB in 2016, as well as an explanation of the difference the stay will make to their personal careers and in their home institutions (maximum 1 page).
- A brief research proposal (including title) for the duration of the residency, as well as a summary of their main research and teaching contributions, indicating how these relate to the research topics at the WZB. Candidates should also address the societal relevance of their research (maximum 1,000 words).
- A curriculum vitae, including information on education, publications, participation in research projects and networks, teaching experience, awards and prizes received and other pertinent experiences. (Note: The majority of the degrees should have been awarded in developing countries).
- 2 letters of recommendation from current or past senior colleagues.
- An indication of their English language proficiency.
- An agreement from their home institution to the research stay in Germany, if selected (applicable only if the candidate is employed during the proposed period of the Fellowship).
Applications should be submitted electronically, preferably in one PDF document, to: [email protected].