International Scholars Program For Undergraduate Students- UBC, Canada
Deadline: December 10, 2015
University of British Columbia (UBC) invites nominations for its International Scholars Programs. This program offers two awards: (1) International Leader of Tomorrow Award (2)The Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award.
The International Leader of Tomorrow Award recognizes international undergraduate students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service, recognized achievement in fields of endeavour such as the performing arts, sports, debating or creative writing, or external academic competitions and examinations.
The Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas, who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and who would be unable to pursue post-secondary education without financial assistance.
The value of awards is commensurate with demonstrated financial need, and sufficient to cover tuition costs for the relevant program of study, and living expenses. Any of these International scholars awards can be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study, or to degree completion, whichever is less, provided the recipient achieves satisfactory academic standing in their faculty, continues to demonstrate financial need, and maintains their Canadian Study Permit (visa).
To be considered for an International Leader of Tomorrow Award, students must:
- be an international student, who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada, and who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian Study Permit (visa);
- be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program at Vancouver campus from a recognized secondary school, or transferring from a recognized college or other university;
- be applying for their first undergraduate degree;
- be admissible to the first choice program they are applying to, including meeting UBC’s English Language Admission Standard (visit https://you.ubc.ca for detailed admissions information);
- have an excellent academic record (at least an “A” average or equivalent standard);
- be nominated by the academic institution they are currently attending or have recently graduated from (university/college transfer students must be nominated by their university or college);
- demonstrate a significant level of financial need that would otherwise prevent them from pursuing a UBC degree.
To be eligible for consideration for the Donald Wehrung International Student Award, the nominee must be:
- an international student, who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada, and who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian Study Permit (visa)
- from a war-torn or politically unstable region of the world, and/or from an economically disadvantaged region of the world, and has achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, with no financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary education, either in their own country because it is unavailable or unattainable, or outside their country because it is beyond their means
- graduating or recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school; applying for their first undergraduate degree;
- able to demonstrate superior academic achievement (at least an ‘A’ average or equivalent standard) and leadership potential
Award candidates must be nominated by the high school they are currently attending, recently graduated from, or the college/university they are transferring from.Nominees must also complete the online application for academic admission to UBC by December 10, 2015
Please read the instructions on the nomination forms carefully!!!
International Leader of Tomorrow
When students are confirmed for nomination by their school, college, or university, their institution must use the International Leader of Tomorrow Award nomination package.
The institution must send the completed ILOT nomination package containing the ILOT nomination, official transcript(s) and other supporting documentation in a sealed, school envelope, (except university/college transcripts sent directly to UBC) to:
The Administrator, International Leader of Tomorrow Award International Student Initiative, The University of British Columbia 1200 – 1874 East Mall, Welcome Centre
Vancouver BC, CANADA V6T 1Z1
Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award
Nominees must complete sections 1 & 3 of the nomination form.
- Nomination for for UBC Vancouver & Okanagan Campuses
The school/non-profit organization must send the completed nomination package containing the DWISA nomination, official transcript(s) and other supporting documentation in a sealed, school envelope, placed in a courier envelope and sent to:
The Administrator, Donald Wehrung International Student Award International Student Initiative
The University of British Columbia
1200 – 1874 East Mall, Welcome Centre
Vancouver BC, CANADA V6T 1Z1
For more information, visit International Leader of Tomorrow Award or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org