Georg Forster Research Award 2016 for Academic Researchers (€60,000 award)
Deadline: January 15, 2016
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation invites nominations for the 2016 Georg Forster Research Award. The award supports the work of accomplished researchers who are expected to continue to develop research-based solutions to specific challenges facing transition and developing countries.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is granting up to six Georg Forster Research Awards annually to internationally renowned academics from developing and transition countries in recognition of their entire academic record to date. Funding for the award is being provided by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
The award amount totals €60,000.
In addition, award winners are invited to conduct a research project of their own choosing in Germany in close collaboration with a specialist colleague. To support the collaboration, the Foundation may grant additional funding of up to €25 thousand.
Academics from developing and transition countries of all disciplines may be nominated for a Georg Forster Research Award. The Foundation particularly encourages the nomination of qualified female researchers.
- The nominee must be recognised internationally as an outstandingly qualified academic (e.g. awards, positive responses to publications, etc.).
- The nominee’s future perspectives must indicate that she/he will continue to be an active, academically influential researcher in the coming years with relevance to the development of the nominee’s own county.
- The nominee must be exceptionally qualified to continue developing research-based solutions to the specific challenges facing transition and developing countries.
- The nominee must be a national of a developing or transition country (excluding People’s Republic of China and India; cf. detailed list of countries). At the time of nomination, he or she must have had his or her main residence and place of work in one of these countries for at least five years.;
- Detailed expert opinion (laudation) by an academic working at a research institution in Germany who would like to invite the nominee to spend time researching in Germany.
- Two expert reviews by important international academics and one from a German scientist/scholar;
- The Humboldt Foundation assumes that candidates will abide by the Rules of Good Scientific Practice during the application and sponsorship periods.
For more information, visit Georg Forster Research Award.