Deadline: May 15, 2016
The International Helen Lansdowne Resor (HLR) Scholarship supports and promotes talented female creative advertising students from around the world in honor of the industry’s first female copywriter, Helen Lansdowne Resor. The program will run through 2020. The scholarship is sponsored by J. Walter Thompson in partnership with 4A’s Foundation Inc.
Dating back to the early 1900s, Helen was an industry pioneer, credited with sparking celebrity testimonial campaigns with her use of endorsements from socialites, European royalty, and actresses in her work for Pond’s Cold Cream. Helen Lansdowne Resor’s creative capacity helped to push the barriers and shatter traditional formulas of advertising. During her tenure, J. Walter Thompson was known as the “Women’s Agency,” where bright young talented females were given opportunities that had been traditionally offered exclusively to men.
- Each year, the HLR Scholarship seeks to award five female creative students scholarships up to $10,000.
- In addition, each recipient will receive a paid summer internship at a J. Walter Thompson office in her respective region, an offer of a J. Walter Thompson mentor and “first look” placement consideration upon graduation.
Terms of Scholarship
- Scholarships are paid directly to the university/portfolio school you are attending;
- Tuition payments will be made until the scholarship balance reaches zero or when the recipient graduates;
- Reimbursement payments by J. Walter Thompson will not be made for tuition already paid by the student prior to being awarded the HLR Scholarship.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be female;
- Be registered as a student at a participating undergraduate and/or portfolio school and be no less than 12 months from completion of their degree at May 15, 2016;
- Show creative talent and promise;
- Maintain satisfactory academic and creative progress as determined by their school.
- Complete the Application form. The following documents are required:
- Personal statement (500 words or less);
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member;
- 3-5 maximum creative samples (less than 7 MB) showcasing your best work.
- Ensure that all required creative samples are uploaded or made accessible via a link (Google Drive, Dropbox, portfolio website, etc.) and include this link in your submission