African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards 2016 – Up to $100k in Prizes!
Deadline: October 31, 2016
Applications are now invited for the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards 2016. The African Union Commission launched the prestigious African Union Scientific Award Programme on 9 September 2008 with the support of its Development Partners particularly the European Commission.
The objective is to recognize, award and honor outstanding excelling African Scientists, women, men alike and younger researchers for their scientific achievements, discoveries and innovations. This raises the profile of science and technology sector in the African Union Member States and Africa as a whole and thus contributing to Africa’s sustainable development, poverty alleviation and integration efforts.
Award Categories and Prizes
Under this programme prizes are awarded to top African scientists in each of the following two sectors:
- Life and Earth Science; and
- Basic Science, Technology and Innovation
This programme is implemented in three levels as below:
- The Continental Award – It is implemented by the African Union Commission. The two successful winners of the award each receives the current prize of 100,000USD during the Heads of States and Government Summit in January 2017.
- The Regional Award – It is implemented in partnership with the Regional Economic Communities (RECs). It is aims at promoting the participation of African women in Science, Technology and innovation. The two winners per region receive a prize of 20,000USD each. For the applications, kindly contact the implementation RECs as outlined in the rules of procedure.
- The National Young Scientists Award is implemented by Member States who have signed an Implementation Agreement with the AU Commission and its implementation partner TWAS. At the national level, the programme is implemented through National Academy of Science or National Research Councils. Two winners per country receive a prize of 2,000USD each for the 2017 edition.
- The Continental Award is open to all African scientists in the continent
- The Regional Award level is open to African Women in science, technology and innovation.
- The National Young Scientists Award award is open to young scientists and researchers (both men and women), not more than 40years by December 31 of the year of the Award.
For more information, visit African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards.