IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award 2018
Deadline: January 19, 2018
IWMF is seeking candidates for the fourth annual Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award. The Award was created to honor Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus who lived from 1965-2014. It celebrates women photojournalists whose work inspires IWMF to take action and better understand the world. This courageous reporting manifests in many different forms, and they celebrate visual journalism that inspires them to take action.
IWMF believes that courage is reflected in everyday life, beyond the frontlines of conflict, and so they seek candidates whose work reflects the values of Anja Niedringhaus through compassion, humanity, and a commitment to capturing the whole picture. In Anja’s words “I do my job simply to report on people’s courage with my camera and my heart.”
The Award includes a cash prize of $20,000. As part of the IWMF’s partnership with World Press Photo Foundation, the 2018 Award winner will be announced publicly and have her work showcased at the World Press Photo Festival of Visual Journalism in April 2018.
Candidates for the Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award must:
- Work full-time as journalists; journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation;
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible;
- Entrants may be of any nationality.
- All nominations must include candidate information, work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the place and situation captured.
- Photos must not be manipulated post-production. Photos must depict accurately the scenes and events captured. Photo collages and illustrations will not be accepted.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years. The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Submissions must include a 1 page candidate/nomination statement. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the photographs submitted with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.
For more information, visit IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage In Photojournalism Award.