TGCL Programme Scholarship to Study at University of Dar es Salaam School of Law 2018/19
Deadline: February 23, 2018
Applications are now open for the Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) LLM Programme 2018/19 under the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law. The TGCL, a think tank on East African Community law, is a cooperation project of the University of Dar es Salaam and the University of Bayreuth in Germany.
It is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The TGCL offers a structured LLM study programme at the School of Law, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. It trains aspiring young East African lawyers, qualifying them for leading positions in the region.
The centre offers specialised LLM and PhD programmes which focus on regional integration law and approach other areas of law from the regional integration perspective. The candidates will pursue a coursework and a dissertation programme on Regional Integration and East African Community Law.
The programme takes one year of full-time attendance. On successful completion of the programme, the students will obtain a Master of Laws degree from the University of Dar es Salaam and an additional TGCL Certificate. All LLM dissertations must focus on the East African Community Law (EAC law), if possible, in relation to the student’s national law.
The TGCL will award scholarships only to applicants from EAC partner states and will cover:
- the university fees for the LLM programme
- a reasonable health insurance
- an annual stipend of 2,400 EUR for Tanzanians and of 3,000 EUR for non-Tanzanians
- a housing allowance of 30 EUR per month
- a once-off research grant of 460 EUR
- TGCL invites applications from candidates from the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda) for LLM studies starting 1st October 2018.
- The minimum requirement for admission to the LLM program is a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalentfrom a recognised higher learning institution.
- The language of instruction in the School of Law is English. Those who are not conversant with it should not apply.
- Candidates who have graduated (their bachelor degree or equivalent) longer than six years before the application deadline are not encouraged to apply.
The applicant must register online through the TGCL website and submit the following documents electronically:
- a signed curriculum vitae with clear evidence of periods of legal and other relevant education, training and practical experience. It is compulsory to use the Europass CV template.
- a one-page letter of motivation
- certified photocopies of all relevant certificates (birth certificate, school leaving certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education, including provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not written in English, an official translation should be attached
- a recent passport picture
- a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
- a proposal of the intended research (1,500 words) – see annexed guidelines
In addition to the online application, applicants must send the following documents to the address indicated below:
- Hard copies of all application documents mentioned above
- Two recent passport size pictures
- Two letters of recommendation (signed and sealed)
- a printout of the online registration confirmation sheet
Complete the online application here.
For more information, visit TGCL Programme Scholarship.