Deadline: February 12, 2018
Applications are open to be a 2018-2019 Girl Up Teen Advisor. Every year, Girl Up invites teen girls who are ready and excited to change the world. At Girl Up, Teen Advisors are leading Girl Up’s “by girls, for girls” movement, carrying out advocacy goals, providing feedback on campaign strategy and energizing others to take action for girls around the world.
Being a Teen Advisor is an opportunity of a lifetime. The lessons you’ll learn about what it means to be an advocate for gender equality and about the complexities of international relations are invaluable.
The Teen Advisor program is where Girl Up truly lives out its “by girls, for girls” mission. Composed of a widely diverse group of teenage girls, Teen Advisors are passionate change-makers who together spread and fuel Girl Up’s work. As Teen Advisors, they are central to all Girl Up decision-making including advocacy, fundraising and communications strategy. To support the Teen Advisors in this task, Girl Up provides skills-based trainings, professional development opportunities, hands-on learning, and most significantly, personal relationships with the staff.
- Access to United Nations speakers, agencies and initiatives
- Access and financial support to attend speaking and blogging opportunities for special events and conferences like the Social Good Summit and International Day of the Girl
- Intensive skills-based trainings, professional development opportunities, hands-on learning
- An insider’s view into Girl Up through constant communication with staff, and most significantly, personal relationships
- Decision-making power in the work of the campaign
- Attend and actively participate in and prepare for monthly calls/webinars (scheduled for the second Sunday of every month)
- Attend two mandatory in-person meetings — one preceding the annual Leadership Summit in Washington D.C. (mid-July), the other in January or February of the following year (for those U.S. applicants, the weekend generally follows either MLK….”
- Start and/or lead a Girl Up Club in your school or surrounding community
- Regularly contribute to the Girl Up Community, an online hub for Girl Up Clubs and Campuses
- Represent Girl Up in the media and at events in their communities
Applications are open to self-identified girls from the U.S and outside the U.S.
- Must be entering the U.S. equivalent of 9th-12th grades
- Display a sense of maturity, cultural-sensitivity, and openness to learning about different cultures
- Be committed to the empowerment of girls and women
- Possess strong leadership skills and have proven desire to become a globally-minded citizen through meaningful discussion, learning and action in their community and school
- Have knowledge of and passion for Girl Up’s mission and vision for adolescent girls around the world
- Be able to complete all Teen Advisor responsibilities as outlined below
Girl Up is committed to seeking and maintaining a culturally diverse and inclusive Teen Advisor class. Applicants who represent underrepresented backgrounds in regards to race/ethnicity, nationality, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, religion etc., are especially encouraged to apply.
- Teen Advisor Applications are due by 11:59PM Eastern Time MONDAY, FEBRUARY 12. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Apply here
For more information, visit Girl Up Teen Advisors Program.