Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship at the University of Cape Town 2018 (value of R120,000)
Deadline: August 31, 2018
Applications for the Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship 2018 at the University of Cape Town are now open. The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to selected University of Cape Town (UCT) undergraduate students.
The scholarship is awarded to students with demonstrated leadership potential, for the purposes of financially supporting the them as they continue with their chosen degree programmes at the University of Cape Town, at the same time developing their leadership potential through additional Programme activites, to better prepare them for eventually taking up significant leadership roles in South Africa or other African countries.
About the Program
The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Programme was established at the University of Cape Town in 2014 through a gift donated by Professor Klaus-Jürgen Bathe of Massachusetts (USA). The primary goal of the Programme is to produce graduates with outstanding leadership qualities and with a strong sense of social justice, who will go on to play leading and significant roles in business, government, industry and civil society in South Africa and on the African continent.
The Programme specifically aims to find, educate and nurture UCT undergraduate students towards becoming leaders who are able to tackle issues at the national level and uplift their countries for the betterment of all citizens. The recipients of the award will be known as the Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Scholars.
- The scholarship offers full financial support to the value of R120,000 per year, intended to cover tuition fees, accommodation, meals and an allowance for books, stationery and transport;
- The scholarship will also entitle the recipient to a 6-week internship in the USA, Germany or South Africa, the costs of which will be met by the Programme;
- Scholars will be required to take the normal courses of their degree programs, plus two additional courses intended to develop leadership qualities. These courses will be identified by the Programme Director, and may vary from year to year.
- Open to all undergraduate students enrolled in any of the six Faculties of University of Cape Town;
- Students can apply in their first year of study, or after completing first year. However, there must be at least two years of the degree programme remaining at the time of award. The scholarship cannot be held for a period less than two years. Postgraduate students are not eligible;
- While it is expected that the majority of scholars will be citizens of South Africa, candidates from other sub-Saharan African countries are also welcome to apply. However, a condition for non-South African candidates is that they must demonstrate a commitment to remain in South Africa and serve the country for at least 10 years after their studies. They must also commit to serving their own countries;
- Scholars should remain in good academic standing after the first year, as a condition for the renewal of the award for a second year;
- Scholars must remain committed to the goals of the Programme throughout their studies, and strive towards eventually serving the larger society in South Africa or on the African continent in a significant leadership capacity. They will be expected to be role models and ambassadors of the Programme.
For more information, visit Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships.