TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme for Researchers 2018-2020 (Funded)
Deadline: December 1, 2018
Applications are invited for the TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme 2018-2019. In collaboration with UNESCO and a number of centres of excellence in the South, TWAS has instituted a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centres regularly.
The Associateship Scheme was instituted to help counteract the brain drain affecting many developing countries. The programme supports regular visits by researchers from developing countries to centres of excellence in the South. Almost 300 centres of excellence in the South have agreed to participate in the programme.
Appointments have a fixed duration of three years. During this time, the associate is entitled to visit the host centre twice, for a period of 2 to 3 months each time. Subject to the availability of funds, the appointment may be renewed for a further 3-year term.
- The Associateship covers the associate’s travel expenses and a monthly contribution of USD300 towards incidental local expenses. The host centre covers accommodation and food, and provides the research facilities.
- Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent degree;
- The selection of associates is highly competitive; appointments are made on the basis of merit;
- Special consideration is given to scientists from isolated institutions in developing countries;
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications for TWAS Associateship should include:
- The completed application form;
- A recent invitation letter – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – from one of the Institutions listed here. It should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available;
- The applicant’s curriculum vitae, and
- The applicant’s full list of publications.
- In addition, letters of recommendation must be submitted separately to TWAS by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country.
Applications must reach the TWAS Secretariat by December 1 of each year at the following address:
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-330
Fax: +39 040 224559
For more information, visit TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme.