Hague Institute for Innovation of Law (HiiL) Innovating Justice Challenge 2019 for Startups from Africa
Deadline: August 15, 2019
Are you creating the next great justice innovation? The Hague Institute for Innovation of Law (HiiL) is accepting applications for the 2019 edition of its Innovating Justice Challenge, which offers funding and support to solutions preventing or resolving justice problems.
Startups from East, West and Southern Africa have until August 15 to apply for the challenge, which is looking for impactful justice innovations with the potential to become financially sustainable and scale nationally or globally.
Up to 10 finalists will be chosen from each region, and invited to take part in a week-long programme of business development specifically designed to support organisations looking to create impact in access to justice. These finalists will then pitch to a jury made up of local and international specialists.
The best innovators will then be invited to join their justice accelerator programme, with those that show significant growth able to win up to EUR20,000 (US$22,500) in seed funding, business development support, access to a global network, potential further investment opportunities and international exposure for their innovation, including the chance to pitch at the Innovating Justice Forum in The Hague in February 2020.
Every year they support a selected cohort of the world’s most promising justice innovations and offer:
- Grant funding up to 20,000 EUR.
- Business Acceleration Support. This means regular 1-on-1 counselling and developing solutions
- Local incubation (where possible). If you reside close to one of our 7 hubs, we can provide a local advisor, otherwise called an “Innovating Justice Agent”.
- Mentorship. We can connect you with local (where available) and global mentors.
- Connections. HiiL has a network around the world: with justice institutions, impact investors, legal tech organisations, academics.
- Promotion and branding. You can proudly display the HiiL logo on your site showing that you are part of the HiiL Justice Accelerator programme.
Citizens need solutions to their pressing justice problems. A justice innovation is:
- Helping people prevent or resolve a pressing justice need
- Helping people resolve problems in their daily lives
- Helping improve the effectiveness of justice systems
- Has the ability to help millions of people
If you have a project that fits the above, you are a justice innovator, otherwise called a justice entrepreneur. And, this means they are able to help you.
They look for ventures with strong potential to prevent or resolve pressing justice needs. Examples of such eventures are those that deliver concrete justice solutions for many people, including micro, small and medium-sized businesses, and initiatives within existing justice systems or public institutions, spearheaded by driven intrapreneurs.
- Innovative justice initiatives who can make significant social impact
- Ventures that have a business model and the ambition to scale across a country or internationally
- Ventures that have a business model that enables them to become financially sustainable
- Ventures led by a motivated and strong team that includes experienced and inspiring founder(s)
For more information, visit HiiL Innovating Justice Challenge.