RSC-BIEA Fellowship 2021 for Refugee and Displaced Scholars (Stipend of $750)
Deadline: August 30, 2021
Applications are open for the RSC-BIEA Fellowship 2021. The Refugee-Led Research Hub (RLRH) at Oxford’s Refugee Studies Centre (RSC) is launching a 12-month fellowship for refugees and other displaced scholars who are interested in graduate-level study in the field of Refugee and Forced Migration Studies (RFMS). It will be run in collaboration with British Institute in Eastern Africa (BIEA).
The fellowship will include teaching, mentorship, and professional development activities provided by specialists in the field. Activities will span three terms of study and research (October 2021–June 2022) followed by a 3- month professional placement with RLRH, RSC, BIEA, or other academic and research institutes.
- Fellows will hold affiliated membership statuses with both the RSC and BIEA, and will be awarded a certificate from University of Oxford upon completion.
- Fellows will receive a stipend of 750 USD per month for the duration of the fellowship.
- Applicants must have lived experience of forced displacement (e.g., as a refugee, asylum seeker, IDP, stateless person, former refugee, or another category);
- Live in East Africa or the Horn (e.g., Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Sudan, South Sudan); refugee/displaced scholars living elsewhere and with an interest in displacement issues in Africa are also encouraged to apply;
- Have completed a BA degree in a field in the Social Sciences or Humanities (e.g., International Relations, International Development, Politics, Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, History, Law, Literature, etc.), or have comparable experience (e.g., have previous professional experience in the humanitarian sector, participation in academic/professional research projects, completion of training in related fields, etc.);
- Have demonstrated interest in Refugee and Forced Migration Studies or related fields; and
- Be able to commit for 25-30 hours a week, for a period of 12 months.
They strongly encourage applications from individuals in social groups that are under- represented in this space, including LGBTQ+, gender non-conforming, women, and disabled candidates.
The deadline for application is August 30, 5pm EAT. You can attend one of their information sessions on August 17 at 2pm EAT, or August 23 at 10am EAT. Join here.
For more information, visit RSC-BIEA Fellowship.