Call for Entries: Girls Impact The World Film Festival 2017 (US$20,000 in Prizes)
Deadline: February 1, 2017
Entries are invited for the 2017 Girls Impact The World Film Festival. The Girls Impact the World Film Festival is a film festival and scholarship program in which high school and undergraduate college students submit 3-6 minute short films that focus on a variety of global women’s issues, including maternal health, microfinance initiatives, child-marriage, sex-trafficking, poverty alleviation, etc. The Festival is presented by the Harvard College Social Innovation Collaborative (SIC) and Connecther.
High school and undergraduate students, submit your 3-6 minute short films that address global women’s issues such as: education for girls, maternal health, violence against women and girls and a variety of other issues.
- Judges Choice:
- Grand Prize: $5000
- 1st Runner Up: $2500
- 2nd Runner Up: $1000
- Gems’ Choice Grand Prize: $1000
- People’s Choice Winner: $2500 (based on the total number of fb likes + tweets – winner will be chosen from top 10 most popular) *
- Most Innovative Film or Solution prize: $1000
- Ian Somerhalder Foundation Green IS Prize – $2500
- HONEST BEAUTY Prize – $2500
- Global Impact Prize: $2,500
- Stand Up Men Prize: $2,500
- Girls in STEM Prize: $1,000
- Let Girls Learn Prize: $1,000
*A minimum number of votes is required to be entered into the People’s Choice award category.
*Creative Vison internship opportunities are volunteer based.
- Videos must EITHER:
- Raise awareness about critical issues affecting women and girls around the world OR
- Propose solutions to critical challenges faced by women
- Please make sure your film addresses one of the issues below. Feel free to email [email protected] for questions.(Green IS contestants, please see here for environmental related issue areas)
- Political participation
- Economic independence
- Violence against women
- Maternal mortality
- Global health
- Teen & child marriage
- Sex trafficking and slavery
- Women and girls in media
- Honest Beauty
- Women in leadership
- Education for girls and women
- Women and girls in STEM
- Ending child marriage
- Ending FGM
- Gender pay gap – equal pay
- Women and the environment
- Refugee Stories
- Stand Up Men
Applicant(s) must be 25 or under on December 31, 2016 (special circumstances may be considered)
- Currently enrolled undergraduates (global) OR
- Full-time high school students
- The GITW Film Fest Competition is not open to any resident of the following countries: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- Sponsor prizes including Green IS, Honest Beauty & Innovation Prize are chosen by sponsors and may include films directed and produced by graduate students.
- Each individual applicant may be involved in the making of up to two films. You may not enter more than two films.
How to Enter
- Follow all Film Requirements (see below)
- Enter your video on the GITW entry submission page.
- Share, share and share your video from the GITW gallery. The more you share, the more likely you will win the People’s Choice Award!
- Upon becoming a finalist, before being eligible for prizes, you must provide proof of enrollment at your school/university.
- Your film should be between 3 and 6 minutes long. (see FAQ for exact length requirements)
- Your film must contain the provide End Marker still image.
- Your film can be a (1) narrative, (2) documentary, (3) investigative reporting, (4) music video, (5) animation, or (6) curated film (film collage). Please see the FAQ for more details about film genres and film content.
- Your film must be created after January 1, 2016.
- Your film must be your own original work and not infringe any copyright or ownership agreements.
- You must not premiere your film before entering it on the Girls Impact the World website.
- You may only be involved with two submitted entries per year.
- Once you have submitted your video, please share and publicize it through the Girls Impact the World Gallery page. This is intended to help you further the number of facebook likes, tweets and views for the People’s Choice Grand Prize.
- At the end of your film please add a slide that shows at least 2 or more organizations that are working on solutions to the issue area that you address in your short film. You can highlight Connecther projects and/or other organizations. (optional but recommended)
For more information, visit ConnectHer- GITW