Deadline: April 23, 2013
Are you an 18-25 Nigerian Youth? Here is an exciting youth volunteering opportunity for you to work on Development Projects for 3 months with other young people from the UK!!! Applications are now invited from young people interested in volunteering, for the Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) – International Citizen Service (ICS) commonly referred to as VSO-ICS program.
About the Program
VSO-ICS is a youth centred community development programme, conducted in partnership other implementing partners. The three-month programme brings together young people (aged 18-25) from the UK and Nigeria. Each team will typically consist of 20 young people, with equal numbers coming from the UK and the host country.
Volunteers work in carefully selected communities, in placements fully supported by their implementing partner organisations and two full time VSO ICS programme supervisors. Together, in cross-cultural counterpart pairs, volunteers live with host families and work in the host communities. The type of work varies depending upon the needs of the community, but can include service delivery, advocacy work, and peer-to-peer education programmes. Through a programme of structured personal development and learning, ICS aims to create a cadre of young people who will make lifelong contributions as advocates for international development and as agents of social change within their own communities.
VSO ICS do not ask for any specific skills or experience in our volunteers. They however look for people who show the potential to learn and to become active Global Citizens. The 7 areas of focus include:
- Positive and realistic commitment to the programme
- A genuine commitment to learning
- Ability to solve problems
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Self confidence
- Ability to work with others in a team
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
In addition, volunteers must be able to:
- Treat everyone equally and with respect
- Abide by and respect all laws, both of the UK and of the host country
- Abide by all rules and regulations established by VSO ICS to protect their health and safety
- Always stay within host communities, unless by prior agreement from their Programme Supervisor
- Respect the customs and cultures of host communities and specifically their host families
- Take part in all activities and phases of VSO ICS, including pre- and post- programme events
How to Apply
Volunteers must download the form below and be sure that they can cope with the above standards of behaviour before they apply for the programme.
Completed forms should be sent to VSO-ICS team at Girls Power Initiative (GPI), Atimbo Road, Calabar, Cross River State
Sent via email to [email protected]
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. Interviews will be conducted at GPI in Calabar, Cross River State.
For more information and to download the application form, click here.