Commonwealth News Internship Opportunity for Young Journalists
Deadline: June 23, 2013
The Communications and Public Affairs Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat is looking for a young journalist from Africa to undertake a five month paid attachment with the Secretariat in London from August to December, 2013. The attachment provides an opportunity to gain work experience and training in the production and dissemination of news articles for our websites and publications, social media platforms, general publicity materials and our e-mail news bulletin, Commonwealth News.
1. The candidate must be a citizen of one of the following countries: Botswana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Rwanda, The Gambia, Seychelles, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Kenya, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Malawi, Uganda, Mauritius, United Republic of Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia, Namibia.
2. The candidate should:
- be under 35 years of age (at 23 June 2013);
- be fluent in English;
- be a journalist with between three and five years experience working with an English-language newspaper, news agency or national information agency. Recent graduates in journalism or a related discipline, who have less than three years experience but show promise and ability as a news or features writer, will also be considered;
- have experience of using social media platforms professionally, including Facebook and Twitter;
- be computer literate, including experience using Microsoft Office suite;
- preferably have some experience in photography;
- preferably have a knowledge of the Commonwealth and of development issues; and
- preferably have lived in or visited a developing Commonwealth country.
The successful candidate will be working at the Commonwealth Secretariat in London and will be paid an allowance of approximately £1,800 per month (before taxes and deductions). A return air ticket (economy class) will be provided, as will additional reimbursements for short-term accommodation expenses on arrival to the UK and visa costs.
If the successful candidate is in full-time employment, his/her employer will be requested to provide a guarantee that the candidate will be able to return to his/her job after the attachment is completed. While working at the Secretariat, the intern will have the opportunity to report on Commonwealth events for their news organisation, after having fulfilled his/her daily duties as required by the internship.
For more information, click here.