BBC Media Training: Call for Applicants in Libya
Deadline: July 2, 2013
As part of the EU-funded Media Neighbourhood Project, the BBC is leading a series of workshops for Libyan media professionals in the areas of professional journalism, new media and management. The workshops will be held in Tunisia led by senior journalists and highly-experienced trainers from the BBC, AFP and the other international media organisations in the consortium. The training will be practical and hands on.
If you currently work in the media in Libya you may wish to apply for one of the workshops. Please select one of the three workshops:
- BBC News Reporting Course,
- Multi-Platform Ethical Journalism or
- Professional and Financial Independence.
If the course organisers are unable to offer applicants their first choice, they may offer a place on one of the other courses.
Courses and Requirements
1) BBC News Reporting Course – 27-29 August 2013 (Tunisia)
- Making stories relevant and engaging for the audience
- Understanding the EU and its relationship with its neighbours
- Journalistic ethics
- Effective news gathering
- Professional interviewing techniques
- You will have worked in an established media outlet of any platform for at least 2 years as a reporter or editor.
- Ideally you will have an interest in covering international news, especially concerning the EU and related subjects.
You will be expected to attend two, three full-day workshops, which will be held within a year of each other. Between the two workshops you will be expected to produce a portfolio of stories, which will be evaluated during the 2nd workshop by professional media trainers.
2) Multi-Platform Ethical Journalism 28 Oct- 1 Nov 2013 (TBC) Tunisia
- Basics of multi-platform journalism
- Creating professional content for on-line
- Techniques of mobile reporting
- Ethics and responsibilities of on-line journalism
- Citizen journalism
- Building on-line communities, involving the audience
- Search Engine Optimization
- Blogging, Social Media and Online Curation.
Requirements: you will have one or more of the following:
- • Basic experience as a multi-media journalist
- • Current involvement in multi-media or on-line journalism
- • Experience in blogging and the use of social media for news production, distribution and citizen activism
- • Editorial experience in multi-media environment
This is a 5 full- day course
3) Media Managers and Senior Editors on Professional and Financial Independence- 21-25 Oct 2013) (TBC) Tunisia
- • Business planning
- • Strategic marketing
- • Developing practical tools – mechanics of selling advertising preparing price lists, negotiation techniques
- • Effective broadcast scheduling
- • Managing multi-platform content
- • Newsroom management, including integrated newsrooms
- • Foreign desk management
- • EU and its policies towards your country and region
- • HR development
- • Winning donor grants and project management
Requirements: you will have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- • Current managerial or senior editorial position in a media outlet
- • Media sales
- • Programming or scheduling
- • Audience research
- • Newsroom management or foreign desk management
- • News producer
- • Media business management
- • Donor relations and project management
This is a 5 full-day course
For more information on how to apply, click here.