Gates Cambridge Scholarship: A Global Scholarship to Study at Cambridge
Deadline: December 3, 2013
Starting from September 1, 2013, applications will be accepted for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship for October 2014 entry will be open. The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are prestigious, highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
The global scholarship is for intellectually outstanding postgraduate students with a capacity for leadership and a commitment to improving the lives of others. The programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Value of Scholarship
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge; including the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate; a maintenance allowance for a single student (£13, 300 for 12 months at the 2012-13 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months); and one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course.
The ideal candidate must have the following;
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- OR already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- BA (undergraduate)
- BA affiliated (a second BA)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- Courses at universities other than Cambridge
- Gates Cambridge does not admit or place scholars – all applications must be made through the University of Cambridge
- Scholarships are available for a postgraduate degree in any subject at the University of Cambridge
- One application form for postgraduate admission and a Scholarship
For more information and to apply, click here.