Deadline: August 15, 2013
The Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network (PAHRD–Net) invites nominations for human rights defenders awards. The awards will honor exceptional individuals who peacefully promote and protect universally recognized rights as stated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights. Awards include support to the human rights work of the winning individual or organisation with a total value of 10 000 USD for the Pan-African award winner and 5 000 USD for each sub-regional award winners.
The winners will be selected by an independent jury. The awards will be presented to the winners at the occasion of the 54th Ordinary Session of the Africa Commission on Human and People’s Rights scheduled to be held in October 2013 in Banjul, The Gambia.
Altogether six awards will be presented, one Pan-African award and five sub-regional awards:
- Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Award 2013
- East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Award 2013
- West Africa Human Rights Defenders Award 2013
- Southern Africa Human Rights Defenders Award 2013
- Central Africa Human Rights Defenders Award 2013
- Northern Africa Human Rights Defenders Award 2013
- Both individuals and organizations are eligible for the award.
- Submissions can be made in Arabic, French, English or Portuguese.
Return your nomination to [email protected].
For more information, click here.