2014 AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship for International Students
Deadline: January 15, 2014
Applications are now open for the American University (AU) Emerging Global Leader Scholarship (EGLS). The program promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board) for one international student who will need a visa to study in the United States. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
- Preference for the AU EGL scholarship will be given to international students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or dual citizens of the U.S. and another country are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be secondary school students. You cannot be currently enrolled in or have already begun any studies at another university.
The most competitive applicants should have:
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a minimum 95 TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IELTS or 600 paper-based TOEFL
Important: Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for fall 2014. If you are not selected as the 2014 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships.
If you are applying through one of the following programs supported by EducationUSA, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA Center’s adviser confirming your candidacy and any cost-share provided by the program: USAP, Opportunity Funds, the Diana Kamal Scholarship Search Fund, IIE StudyAmerica, Competitive College Clubs, or similar.
NOTE: The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately US$4,000). AU EGLS candidates should apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2014. You must submit the AU Common Application, the AU Writing Supplement (including responses to all four AU EGLS questions), and an official bank letter confirming availability of US$4,000, by January 15, 2014.**
For more information, click here.