Deadline: November 11, 2013
Applications are now invited for the Conservation Leadership Programme (CLP) awards. CLP Awards build the leadership capabilities of early-career conservation professionals working in places with limited capacity to address high-priority conservation issues. The CLP has been helping young conservationists to achieve their goals and move into positions of influence within the conservation sector for more than 25 years. Every year, they put out a call for funding applications (between $15,000 and $50,000) for Conservation Awards. These awards are aimed at early-career conservationists.
- The ideal applicants for a CLP award are:
- early in their careers with less than 5 years professional experience in the conservation sector
- show excellent potential for capacity and leadership development,
- already have some practical or academic experience of conservation and
- display a passion for conservation issues.
- Countries not classed as high-income countries by the World Bank are eligible for CLP awards. Exceptions to this include some high-income countries which possess high levels of biodiversity and/or low conservation capacity. Countries that are subject to UK/EU/US sanctions are not eligible.
- Team members from countries assessed by the World Bank as high income countries are permitted to take part in CLP funded projects provided that at least half of the project team are from the target country and the project is either led or co-led by a national of the target country.
- Take the Eligibility Quiz before applying
Successful applicants will:
- develop the knowledge, skills and abilities of team members;
- implement a focused, high-priority conservation project combining research and action; and
- contribute to the long-term success of local conservation efforts.
- Future Conservationist Awards (up to US $15,000 each)
- Conservation Follow-up Awards (up to US $25,000 each) – available only to previous CLP Future Conservationist Award winners
- Conservation Leadership Awards (up to US $50,000 each) – available only to previous CLP Follow-up Award winners
Follow-up awards are for previous Future Conservationist award recipients who want to continue and expand the work carried out by the previous project. Leadership awards are for Follow-up award recipients who wish to further develop their project, usually with a greater focus on conservation as opposed to research.
Other Application Information
All teams that make it through the first round of reviews receive feedback on their proposal. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact a member of the CLP team more than two weeks before the application deadline for advice on eligibility, project concept, methods and activities. The CLP can also put teams in touch with local partner offices or other experts who can provide additional advice.
A representative from each award-winning team is invited to attend an international training event organized by the CLP to share ideas, develop skills and knowledge and network with their peers. Additionally, winning teams are able to network with experts from within each of the partner organizations and past winners. CLP team members are available to help with project implementation, including guidance required during the planning and team training stages.
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is usually early – mid November. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a draft of their proposal at least two weeks before the deadline so we can provide feedback prior to final submission.
Anyone interested in applying for a CLP award should read our Frequently Asked Questions document
For more information, click here.