LEAP Africa 2013 Social Innovators Programme & Awards (SIPA) for Nigerians
Deadline: October 7, 2013
Applications are now open for the 2013 Social Innovators Programme, a three month program of training, funding, advocacy and networking opportunities for the youth to advance the impact of their initiatives. LEAP is launching a Social Innovators Programme and Awards to support young social innovators between ages 18 – 29 years, whose ideas and initiatives offer effective solutions to challenges in local communities across Nigeria. The programme launch and awards will hold on November, 11, 2013 at Shell Hall, MUSON Centre, Lagos State with Mr. Rick Little, Founder, International Youth Foundation serving as the guest speaker.
Through LEAP’s partnership with the International Youth Foundation’s YouthActionNet® Program, SIP beneficiaries will become members of a global network of young change makers from over 71 countries, and will have access to the resources and opportunities provided by this network. This programme also recognizes the amazing efforts of these people who in spite of the difficulties in this country are challenged to go over and beyond to create a better society. Nigeria needs more young people like this and the Social Innovators Programme and Awards is the right platform.
SIP objectives are to:
- Identify, encourage and support youth in Nigeria who have initiated change projects focused on improving the lives of others
- Showcase their impact on local communities to demonstrate that youth can serve as effective change leaders in Nigeria
- Provide international recognition for local change-makers and access to international funding opportunities through the Social Innovation Programme Awards (SIPA).
- Connect Nigerian change-makers to their peers around the world for shared learning and collaboration through YouthActionNet ®’s global network.
Applicants must meet the following entry requirement to be considered for the awards. They must be:
- Nigerians resident in Nigeria (not Nigerians in the Diaspora).
- Between ages 18 – 29 years.
- Initiators# of such projects/initiatives/organisations that are positively impacting local communities and lives of Nigerians particularly in achieving the MDGs through their creativity and innovation.
- Able to document and prove their work, benefits and some level of sustenance amongst communities and Nigeria for a minimum of 12 months prior to date of application for the SIP.
- a founder or co-founder of the project/organization which has been running for not less than one (1) year. The founder or co-founder is defined as the person who, either alone or as part of a team, conceiving and establishing the project/organization.
Twenty (20) social innovators will be enrolled into the programme after screening (an application form will be made available to interested applicants). The SIP will be offered free of charge.
How to Apply
1. Like LEAP’s page on facebook, www.facebook.com/LEAPAfrica.
- Follow on twitter, www.twitter.com/leapafrica or @leapafrica & mention the programme you are applying for – with a #tag (e.g Chike Adeyemi Abu/#SIP2013).
- Request for the SIPA application form via the coordinator; [email protected].
- Fill the form and send to the same email.
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact the SIP Coordinator at [email protected] or call 012706541/2, 07011081954 if you have any questions or concerns.
For more information, click here.