Deadline: October 25, 2013
Safaricom and Vodafone have launched the Safaricom AppStar Challenge 2013. The appStar is to be contested across several countries in Africa and Asia, aiming to provide a local platform for all developers in the region to showcase their innovative and cool apps on a larger platform.
- Winner – KSH 1,000,000 (USD 12,000)
- 1st RUNNER UP – KSH 500,000 (USD 6,000)
- 2nd RUNNER UP – KSH 350,000 (USD 4,000)
- The Challenge is open to contestants from Egypt, Kenya, India, South Africa and Tanzania, and unlike the previous contest this year’s challenge will include a fresh look and richer features.
- Any developer who has the capability to develop a cool app in any of the listed platforms can register and submit the application.
- appStar is designed to lower the entry barrier for all range of developers: be it an established company, student, hobbyists, homemakers or a freelancer.
- Quality: The application submitted should be produced to a high quality, fully functional, with minimal errors and would provide a simple and easy to use user experience.
- Innovation: The application submitted should be unique and innovative, in terms of functionality or purpose and should utilise current device functionality.
- Local Relevance: The application submitted should be designed to meet local market consumer needs and be relevant to the target demographic.
- International applicability: The application submitted could be used in other territories with similar consumer needs.
As in 2012, the contest will be two-phased. You will first compete with developers in your country. The top two developers from each country will then compete at an international stage (where you get to present / demo your app to a larger audience). The final winners are announced during the international contest.
For more information, click here.