TATA Social Enterprise Challenge 2014
Deadline: November 14, 2013
Registrations for TATA Social Enterprise Challenge-2014 is open now ! This is a joint initiative by the TATA group and the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM Calcutta) to find India’s most promising social enterprises. The challenge is aimed at raising awareness about Social Entrepreneurship, and encouraging the youth to step up to be the next generation of social entrepreneurs. Social entrepreneurs identified through the competition will be offered a 5-week mentorship support, awarded cash grants and have an opportunity to pitch for funding and incubation at IIM Calcutta.
The challenge invites social entrepreneurs from across India, who either have an early stage venture or an idea with a proof of concept. The proposed venture needs to have a sustainable business model that creates social impact. There is no restriction on the business model and it can be for-profit, not for profit or even a hybrid model.
The challenge has three stages:
- Impact Proposal Round – In this round, teams will need to submit an ‘Impact Proposal’ through our website. Impact proposal is a detailed business plan format that we have developed to capture the needs and the impact created by any social venture. Last date for submitting the Impact Proposal is November 21, 2013.
- Semi-Finals – On clearing the Impact Proposal Round, a maximum of twenty teams will be invited to pitch to a panel of esteemed judges consisting of Social VCs, Social Entrepreneurs and faculty from IIM Calcutta.
- The Grand Finale – A maximum of ten teams will be selected for the Grand Finale and will pitch to a panel of esteemed judges, consisting of TATA Business Leaders, CEOs/Founders of Social VCs, Social Entrepreneurs and faculty from IIM Calcutta.
Teams that have an existing venture or have an idea that can create sustainable social impact are encouraged to apply.
- The team can be represented in the competition by a maximum of two members
- There is no restriction on the age or background for applicants
- If the submission is an idea, a proof of concept (E.g. prototype) is required.
- If the submission is a venture, the venture must not have been in existence for more than three years
- The entries received will be recognized by the “name” of the venture/idea
- The applicants may or may not be Indian Nationals, however, the social venture should be aimed at creating social impact in India.
- Enterprises that were selected as Semi-finalists in previous year’s Tata Social Enterprise challenge will not be eligible for selection
- Business plans for the competition will be invited for all sectors including the following focus areas
- Agriculture, Food and Dairy
- Healthcare, Water and Sanitation
- Technology and Development
- Microfinance/Financial Inclusion
For more information, click here.