Deadline: Varies (February, 2014)
Teenage secondary school students are invited to apply for the TechGirls program. TechGirls is an international exchange program designed to empower young girls from the Middle East and North Africa to pursue careers in science and technology. The program will bring 27 female students, ages 15-17, to the United States from July 31 to August 21, 2014 for a 22-day, U.S.-based exchange program focused on the high-level study of technology.
An initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), the program emphasizes hands-on skills development in fields such as programming, robotics, mobile application building, web design, video graphics, and 3D game design. It will be intensive, academic, and highly interactive. The program sponsors seek energetic applicants who are interested in developing their leadership and technology skills to become future leaders and experts in the field of technology in their home countries.
Students may apply if they fit the following criteria:
- Are from the Middle East and North Africa
- Are female and between the ages of 15 and 17 as of July 1, 2014 (born after July1, 1997, and before July1, 1999);
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Are excited about learning;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness; and
- Will attend at least one more semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country.
Students should demonstrate an aptitude and strong interest in the field of technology.
- US Embassy Algiers (Deadline: Feb 21, 2014) – http://algiers.usembassy.gov/academic_exchanges.html
- US Embassy Beirut, Lebanon (Deadline: Feb 23, 2014) – http://lebanon.usembassy.gov/techgirls.html
- US Embassy Jerusalem (Deadline: Feb 18, 2014) –
Are Lebanese citizens, or long-term Palestinian resident in Lebanon
For more information visit the official TechGirls Program website.