2014-15 Knight Science Journalism Fellowship at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Deadline: February 28, 2014
Applications are now accepted for the 9-month long Knight Science Journalism Fellowship program.The Knight Science Journalism program at MIT offers full-year fellowships, and week-long workshops to journalists to increase their understanding of science, technology, engineering, medicine and environment.
Fellows receive a stipend of $65,000 as well as some additional benefits. The program is divided between programs (seminars, boot camps, field trips, digital media training) arranged by the Knight Science Journalism Fellowships and individually-chosen activities.
Stipends & Benefits
Fellows receive a stipend of $65,000 divided into ten installments over the academic year. Thr $65,000 stipend is awarded to all Fellows, regardless of nationality.
- Health Insurance: Fellows who elect to participate in the MIT Affiliate Health Insurance program may have their own coverage paid by the Knight Science Journalism Fellowships. Fellows who wish for their spouses and children to join the same plan must arrange to pay the cost for their families.
- Access to everything at MIT and Harvard: With few exceptions, all MIT and Harvard University courses are available for audit by Knight Fellows.
To be awarded our 9-month academic year Fellowship, selected applicants must agree to the following requirements:
- To reside full-time in the Boston/Cambridge area for the academic year: August 15 through May 15.
- To attend all boot camps, field trips, seminars, and new media training sessions arranged by the Knight Science Journalism Fellowships.
- To participate in at least one science course per semester.
- To refrain from professional work during the Fellowship, unless written permission has been granted by the Director.
- For international candidates: To obtain a J-1 visa from the U.S. State Department after being awarded the Fellowship.
- Knight Science Journalism Fellowships are for mid-career journalists who demonstrate a high level of journalistic excellence and accomplishment, as well as a long-term commitment to their craft.
- Journalists from all countries compete on an equal basis.
- To be eligible for a Knight Fellowship, applicants must meet the qualification standards and agree to the stipulations above.
For more information, click here.