The 2014 Akili Youth Health Post-2015 Essay Competition – Apply Now!
Deadline : April 13, 2014
Interested applicants are invited to submit their essays for the 2014 Akili Youth Health Post-2015 Essay Competition. The Akili Initiative, in partnership with the UN and several leading youth health organizations around the world, is seeking the perspective of youth voices from around the globe to ensure that issues from youth perspective are heard in the post-2015 policymaking process.
The essay competition will focus on answering the question;”WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT HEALTH PROBLEM FACING YOUTH IN THE WORLD TODAY, AND WHY?”
The following are suggested topics for essays (but you are certainly not limited to these):
- Mental illness
- Road traffic injury
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Interpersonal violence (gun violence, intimate partner violence, or other)
- The top 10 finalists will be featured on the Akili website.
- The Grand Prize Essay Winner will be awarded a fully funded flight and accommodations to the World Conference on Youth in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where global leaders gather to discuss the post-2015 agenda.
- They will have the opportunity to take part in a crucial gathering of policy makers shaping the next era of health and development, and to meet other youth leaders from around the world.
- The winner will also report live from the conference through social media.
In order to qualify for the essay competition, writers must:
- Be between ages 10-30
- Be able to attend the World Conference on Youth 2014, May 6th- 10th, if chosen as the winner
- Have a valid passport through the end of the conference
- In line with the eligibility requirements of the World Conference on Youth, essays must be 500 words or less,
Essays will be evaluated on the following 5 criteria:
- Strength of argument for importance of youth health issue
- Use of evidence and specific examples
- Connection of issue to one’s personal story and work
- Quality of writing
- Essays should be written in English using Microsoft Word, in 12-pt font, and contain the following information:
- Your name
- Age and
- Document name should be saved as [Last Name]_Akili_Post2015.doc and emailed to [email protected] with subject, “Essay Competition,”
- The panelists judging the essays are world-renowned global health experts with experience in a wide range of youth health issues.
For more information, click here.