Apply for the 2014 Morland Writing Scholarships for African writers (£18,000 Monthly)
Deadline: October 31, 2014
Applications are invited by the Miles Morland Foundation for the 2014 Morland Writing Scholarships for African writers. The Miles Morland Foundation gives out 3 Scholarships each year and are open to anyone who had been born in Africa or both of whose parents were born in Africa.
- The Scholars will receive a grant of £18,000, paid monthly over the course of one year.
- Each of the three winners will be offered the opportunity to be mentored by an established author or publisher who will give help when sought on the progress of their book and comments as to how it is succeeding in meeting its objectives.
- In return for this it is expected that the Scholars will pay to the MMF 20% of whatever they subsequently receive from what they write during the year of their Scholarship.
- These funds will be used to support other promising writers. Last year the obligation to return 20% was a binding condition of accepting the Scholarship.
- For this year’s Scholars, and retro-actively for last year’s, the 20% return obligation should be considered a debt of honour rather than a legally binding obligation.
- To qualify for the Scholarship a candidate must submit a piece of published work, or an excerpt from a piece of published work (written in English), of between two and five thousand words to be evaluated by a panel of readers and judges set up by the MMF.
- The Scholarships will be awarded based on these submissions although the Foundation may also wish to question certain candidates or ask for other work.
- The work submitted will be judged purely on literary merit.
- The only condition imposed on the Scholars during the year of their Scholarship is that they must write.
- They will be asked to submit by e-mail at least 10,000 new words every month until they have finished their book.
- The Scholarship will terminate if a Scholar fails to submit the required work on time unless prior authorisation has been received.
- The Scholarship is intended for writers who want to write a full-length book of 80,000 words or more.
NOTE: All enquiries and submissions relating to the Morland Scholarships should be directed to [email protected]
For more information, visit Morland Writing Scholarships for African writers.