Deadline: July 18, 2014
IREX invites entries worldwide for the 3rd ‘Make a Better World’ Photo Contest! IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. Participants are encouraged to submit their best images of scenes and individuals around the world that reflect IREX’s tagline, “Make a Better World.”
Photos should demonstrate one or more of three theme categories:
- Strengthening Democracy & Governance – Photos should explore how citizens mobilize to increase civic engagement, encourage a strong civil society, and address issues related to good governance, conflict, gender, etc.
- Youth Leading Change – Photos should explore how youth influence and transform their communities to create lasting change as leaders, entrepreneurs, educators, and advocates of peace.
- Expanding Opportunities Through Technology – Photos should explore how technology helps citizens gain access to news, information, and education, while increasing livelihood and economic development.
- Grand Prize $500.00
- Best of Strengthening Democracy & Governance Category $250.00
- Best of Youth Leading Change Category $250.00
- Best of Expanding Opportunity Through Technology Category $250.00
- People’s Choice $250.00
- Entry is open to professional and amateur photographers of all levels who are at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry,
- Applicants who meets the above mentioned eligibility can apply irrespective of thier country of residence or citizenship , provided the laws of the applicable jurisdiction permit participation.
- Current IREX directors, officers, employees, contractors and volunteers, and members of their immediate families, are not eligible to participate.
- Grand Prize and Best in Categories:
- (50%) Relevance to IREX’s Contest Categories
- Does the image and caption prove that the subjects are making a better world? Does it reflect the lives and locations of our work?
- (25%) Technical quality of Image
- Does the photo present its subjects and ideas clearly? Did techniques such as flash, shutter speed, and aperture improve the photo? Was time and thought given for the composition of the photo?
- (25%) Creative and Compelling Storytelling
- In the estimation of the judge, would the photo evoke a response from a typical viewer? Would a typical viewer empathize with the subjects?
- People’s Choice:
- The judges will collectively choose 7-10 photos to be posted on IREX’s online networks for the audience to help choose the winner.
- To enter the competition you must complete the entry form and upload up to 5 photographs in jpeg or png ( not more than 10 MB in size).
- Entrants may only win one prize each. All winners will be notified by email. Winners will be announced no later than August 15, 2014.
For more information, visit IREX Make a Better World Photo Contest!