Government of Sri Lanka Presidential Scholarships for Foreign Students 2014/15 (100 Scholarships)
Deadline: October 15, 2014
Applications are invited from eligible students for the Sri Lanka Government Scholarships for Foreign Students for the academic year 2014-15. Ministry of Higher Education, Sri Lanka under the Government of Sri Lanka Presidential Scholarships for Foreign Students is providing 100 undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships to foreign students.
This scholarship scheme offers international students a chance to enroll themselves in either undergraduate or postgraduate programs conducted by some state universities in Sri Lanka. The scholarships are for the 2014-15 academic year and the courses are to commence in December 2014.
Since this is a government to government scholarship program, candidates should apply for this scholarship with the recommendation of the government scholarship nominating agency (Ministry / Institution) of the respective country.
- Scholarships are open for courses of studies other than Medical & Dental Sciences.
- Be a citizen of a country covered by this scholarship (A citizen of another country having Sri Lankan dual citizenship is not eligible to apply).
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English i.e a minimum score of 525 on TOEFL or 6.0 on IELTS for undergraduate studies. For Masters or PhD, the required marks should be a minimum score of 550 on TOEFL or 6.5 on IELTS
- English is the medium of instruction. Accordingly, an applicant whose previous education has not been conducted in English has to demonstrate a good command of English sufficient to meet the demands of classroom instructions, written assignments and participation in tutorials and discussions.
- Candidates with impressive results of an examination deemed equivalent to G.C.E. (Advance Level) Examination of Sri Lanka are eligible to apply for admission to universities in Sri Lanka.
- Applicants are advised to attach to their applications the original letter obtained from the Examinations Board concerned, to prove that their educational qualifications are equivalent to the G.C.E. (A/L) Examination conducted in Sri Lanka or the G.C.E. A/L examination of University of London or qualifications required for admission to a university in their own country to follow an undergraduate course of study leading to a Bachelor degree.
- Applicants should ensure that all required passes should be obtained in one and the same sitting under a recognized Board of Examination.
- Age : Be less than 25 years of age on October 15, 2014
- Applicants should possess a first degree from a recognized university with good academic merit to enroll a Masters degree and for PhD studies, Master/MPhil degree is required in addition to the first degree.
- Age : Be less than 45 years of age on 15.10.2014
Scholarship Benefits & Terms and Conditions
- Provide tuition and registration free of charge.
- Visa for studies free of charge.
- During the study period, a monthly living allowance of Rs.30, 000/- will be paid.
- One-off settlement allowance of Rs. 10,000/-.
- Reimbursement of cost of air fare (economy class) to come to Sri Lanka and return his/her country after studies.
- Accommodation : It is expected that the scholarship recipient will meet the expenditure for food and accommodation with the monthly allowance of Rs.30,000/- (The relevant university/higher educational institute will assist in finding suitable accommodation).
- Once admitted to a course of study the requests for change of the course/university will not be accepted.
- Medical Cover: Medical benefits will be provided free of charge at government hospitals other than dental related diseases.
- Scholarship holder should submit a health certificate issued by a government hospital of his/her country as per the attached format.
- Every student is required to undergo HIV/AIDS test within a month after arrival.
- Scholarship holder is required to maintain a satisfactory performance of his/her studies until graduation and if not, scholarship can be terminated before the completion of the full period.
- In case the scholarship holder cannot complete the course during the prescribed period due to reasons of ill health or other unavoidable circumstances, considerations will be given to extend the scholarship by a maximum of one year on the recommendation of the university.
- The rules and regulations imposed by each university for the university students will also
- apply to the scholarship holders.
How to apply
- Each applicant should submit dully perfected 04 sets of applications (one original) along with all required documents to his/her government nominating agency.
- Each application should be recommended by the government nominating agency by filling out the section 09 B of the application
The government nominating agency of the applicant should submit the applications with their recommendation to the Sri Lankan mission in his/her country for forwarding the same to the Ministry of Higher Education, Sri Lanka. In case a Sri Lankan mission is not present in his /her country, the government nominating agency can forward the applications directly.
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of official evidence of any name change
- Certified copy of the data page of applicant’s passport
- Certified copies of the graduation/post-graduation certificates
- Certified copies of the academic transcripts as given below
- G.C.E A/L and G.C.E O/L transcripts or their equivalent – for undergraduate students
- Graduation and post-graduation transcripts – for postgraduate students
- Medical Certificate
- Security Vetting
- Two Referee reports for postgraduate students (preferred from applicant’s current employer/former lecturer/academic supervisor)
- Research proposal – for PhD/MPhil applicants
Submission of Applications
Applications with the recommendation of the government nominating agency should be submitted to the address given below by 15.10.2014 following procedure explained at (4) above. Applications received from other means and the late applications will not be considered.
Ministry of Higher Education,
No : 18, Ward Place, Colombo 07,
To apply, download the application form.
For more information, visit the Sri Lanka Government Scholarships for Foreign Students.