Win a 10-day trip to Mexico – Apply for World Nomads Travel Film Scholarship 2014
Deadline: September 17, 2014
World Nomads invites applications for the 2014 Travel Film Scholarship. This is an opportunity for spiring filmmakers to win a 10-day filmmaking assignment to San Luis Potosi, Mexico to capture ‘Dia de los Muertos’ one of Mexico’s most colourful and celebrated holidays. This assignment will take place in Mexico from October 30-November 10, 2014.
Don’t be misled by the name, this ‘spirited’ festival is marked by ceremonies that both honor the dear departed while simultaneously rejoicing in everything living. On assignment, you will be mentored by veteran filmmaker and director, Brian Rapsey, who will help you hone your craft to become a better storyteller. From your experiences, you will be tasked with producing 4x three-minute travel-themed videos that we will share with the world!
- A 10-day trip to San Luis Potosi, Mexico
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Mexico
- 10-day professional mentorship from Brian Rapsey
- Rode Microphones gear: A Video Mic Pro with an XLR adaptor, Smart Lav, Lavalier Mic, plus accessories!
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
- Any non-professionals can apply – this is open to film students, or anyone who’s trying to build a career in film making and/or presenting!
- Minimum age 18 (by application deadline, September 17th) with a current, valid passport and you must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way.
- You may be a resident of any country (subject to obtaining a Mexican visa).
- You should be a mad-keen auteur with a lust for adventure and burning desire to be a filmmaker and/or presenter.
- You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!
Your entry must be 3 minutes or less. Whether you decide to apply solo or as a team of two, we need to see strong filmmaking and presenting skills. We want to experience a journey with you – the emotions, the moments and the adventures implicit to travel.
How to Apply
To apply simply submit your travel themed video and tell us what winning this scholarship will mean to you.
1. Create your travel video: 3-minutes maximum in English based around one of the following themes;
- Festival: Are you heading to festival soon? Grab your camera and capture what it’s like to be in and amongst it – from preparing for the event to dragging your weary bum back home.
- Roadtrip: A good old-fashioned roadtrip is the pure definition of adventure. Show us where your escape to the wide-open road takes you, and all of the antics you get up to along the way.
- Get Cultured: Explore a new culture or get familiar with a new aspect of your own – film yourself eating guinea pig in Peru, learning to tango in Buenos Aires or following the graffiti trail in Berlin with a local artist.
- Seek Adventure: Whether you are trekking to Annapurna Base Camp, spending the night on a train across India or learning to sail in the San Blas Islands, this is your opportunity to showcase your inner explorer!
- Local Legend: Do you know someone with a extraordinary story worth sharing with the world? Go find out about their personal journey and explore the essence of what makes them unique and interesting.
Want a bit of advice before you run off and create your film? Check out these helpful tips from Brian, our mentor.
2. Upload your video: Go to YouTube or Vimeo to upload your video
3. Complete your application form: One entry per person/team (no longer than 3 minutes, again remember, entries that exceed this will not be considered).
For more information, visit World Nomads Travel Film Scholarship.