African Development Bank Young Professionals Program 2015 – Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Deadline: October 6, 2014
The African Development Bank Group is now accepting application for the 2015 Young Professionals Program (YPP), targets the best available talent – young professionals with a passion for development in Africa. It aims at attracting highly qualified and motivated professionals from its member countries, who are committed to African development, have demonstrated outstanding academic and professional achievement, as well as effective team work and leadership potential.
This program is not an internship; rather it offers an exceptional opportunity to talented young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement, a commitment to engagement in crucial issues and to making a difference at the national or international level.
The YPP includes a rigorous program of activities that prepares participants to be technical and professional leaders with notable impact.
- The Program is for a period of three years, of which two years are mandatory and with the possibility of securing a regular staff position during the third year, based on satisfactory performance.
- The rotation assignments are to gain experience of the Bank’s various departments and development programs and processes.
- The training and development programs will include on-boarding, on the job learning and mentoring.
- Performance will be continuously reviewed and evaluated.
The Young Professionals will be based at the African Development Bank Headquarters, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Young Professional Program (YPP) Strategic Focus Areas for 2015 Intake include:
- Financial Sector Development
- Public and Private Sector Financial Management, Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, International Public Sector Accounting Standards and International Standards on Auditing, International Capital Markets, Environmental Finance.
- Actuarial Science, Investment Management and Analysis, Accounting, Financial Audit
- Natural Resource Management
- Water resource management, Environmentalist, and Forestry specialists.
- Climate change, Infrastructure financing, Energy economists.
- Gender Analysis and Integration
- ICT and Gender, Women in oil and gas, Gender economists.
- Political Economy Analysis – Fragile States and Situations
- Regional integration, Political Economy analysis, Public policy.
- Macro Economists, Government financial management, development policy and operations.
- Corporate Lawyers
- Public and private sectors operations.
- Administrative affairs.
- Architect, Transport economists, ICT specialist, Agro-industry.
The Bank expects to recruit between 15 and 20 candidates in the identified relevant focus areas. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
The Young Professional Program targets motivated and talented individuals from our member countries. Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Citizen of a regional or non-regional member country of the African Development Bank.
- 32 years of age or younger by 31st December, 2015.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent or higher in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, or any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank as described above, and with outstanding academic credentials.
- A least 3 years relevant work experience, preferably with a multi-disciplinary background.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills; dynamism; results-orientation; and problem-solving capability.
- Demonstrated passion for development issues and a commitment to Africa.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems (PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio).
- Willingness and ability to relocate and/or undertake country assignments.
In addition, preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to leverage knowledge.
- Ability to share knowledge and coach others.
- Adaptability in a multicultural setting.
- Information Communication and Technology (ICT) skills.
- People management and administrative skills.
- Fiduciary Risks (i.e. Audit, Risk Management and Anti-Corruption) skills.
- Knowledge Management skills.
- Field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries.
- Working knowledge of a third language that is relevant to the Bank’s operations.
To be considered, please note that all applicants must have completed and obtained a Master’s or equivalent Degree Certificate by the date the vacancy announcement closes.
List of Member countries:
53 countries in Africa (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Dem. Rep. of Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia, Zimbabwe,) 26 countries outside the continent (Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom and United States of America.)
NOTE: The AfDB offers an internationally competitive remuneration and benefits package.