Deadline: October 10, 2014
Calling all young people from across the Commonwealth. Are you making a difference in your community? Apply or be nominated for the opportunity to become a Queen’s Young Leader!
Their Royal Highnesses The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales have launched the search. Exceptional people aged 18-29 who are taking the lead in their communities and using their skills to transform lives are invited to apply for a Queen’s Young Leaders Award, in honour of Her Majesty The Queen.
To achieve its aim of discovering, celebrating and supporting inspirational young people to lead the way across the Commonwealth the Programme will comprise two elements:
- Awards to recognise the achievements of 240 inspirational young people and provide support enabling them to take up leadership roles and inspire future leaders
- Grants to support organisations in selected countries across the Commonwealth that work with young people to transform their lives.
The Award winners will receive a unique package of training, a year of mentoring and networking, including a one-week residential programme in the UK during which they will collect their Award from Her Majesty The Queen. This will support winners to develop the amazing work they are already doing in their communities.
Grants will be made to organisations in selected Commonwealth countries that can show they are improving the lives of young people. The grants will help individuals gain new skills, employment and a voice in their communities.
Find out if you’re eligible for a grant by completing the eligibility checker here.
Young people who have already achieved something extraordinary for themselves and others are also taking part in the event
Each application/nomination must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants/nominees need to have proven experience of working to improve their communities locally, regionally or at a national level and be able to show evidence of their achievements.
- Applicants/nominees must be aged between 18 and 29 for the year of the award and be citizens of a Commonwealth country.
- Applicants/nominees need to demonstrate evidence of their leadership qualities.
- Priority will be given to individuals who have overcome challenges to achieve their goals.
- All applicants/nominees need to be supported by a suitable referee. All applications/nominations will be considered based on the young person’s achievements to date as well as their potential and their future ambition
The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme is a partnership between The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, Comic Relief and The Royal Commonwealth Society.
For more information and to apply, visit: Queen’s Young Leaders. Remember, you first found this information on Opportunity Desk 🙂