Deadline: January 1, 2015
The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) program is now open for applications. SINGA is an award given to international students with excellent academic undergraduate and/or master’s results, and strong interest in doing research leading to a doctorate (PhD) in Science and Engineering at a Singapore University. This is a unique opportunity to pursue your PhD in Science and Engineering.
The students can choose to do their research work mainly at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) or the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). The PhD degree will be conferred by either NUS, NTU or SUTD.
PhD training will be carried out in English at your chosen lab at A*STAR Research Institutes, NTU, NUS or SUTD. Students will be supervised by distinguished and world-renowned researchers in these labs. Upon successful completion, students will be conferred a PhD degree by either NTU, NUS or SUTD.
Finances and Benefits
The award provides financial support for up to 4 years of PhD studies. It includes:
– Full support of tuition fees
– Stipends – attractive monthly stipend, which can support you comfortably. S$2,000 per month (S$24,000 per annum), to be increased to S$2,500 per month (S$30,000 per annum) after passing Qualifying Examinations
– One-time S$1,000 settling-in allowance
– One-time airfare grant of S$1,500
- Open to all international students
- Graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results
- Good skills in written and spoken English
- Good reports from academic referees
- TOEFL, IELTS and GRE are NOT required. However, you may indicate your scores in the online application form if you have already taken any of these tests.
The selection criteria for SINGA include the applicant’s academic record, publications, recommendations from academic referees, personal achievements, passion and ability to excel in research, and an interview if short-listed.
How to Apply
You will need to fill up an online application form and submit it through the SINGA website. Softcopies of the following supporting documents must be uploaded during your online application:
- Identity card or Passport
- A recent passport-sized photo in JPEG/PNG format
- Bachelor’s Academic Transcripts (in English translation)
- Bachelor’s Degree Scroll (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree scroll has not yet been conferred
- Master’s Academic Transcripts, if any (in English translation)
- Master’s Degree Scroll, if any (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree scroll has not yet been conferred
- 2 recommendation reports (to be completed and submitted online by the referees)
Not compulsory but good to include (if available):
- GRE / IELTS / TOEFL / SAT I & II / GATE results
Please do not send hard copies of the abovementioned supporting documents to the SINGA Office.
Please note: This is a PhD programme and is not intended for students who wish to obtain only a Masters degree. SINGA only supports PhD studies in the field of science and engineering. SINGA does not support MBAs or PhD in finance, business management or architecture.
See the Frequently Asked Questions before applying.
For more information and to apply, visit SINGA 2015.