UNESCO seeks Project Officer for Mahatma Gandhi EPSD Institute – New Delhi, India
Deadline: November 3, 2014
UNESCO is now applications from qualified candidates for the position of Project Officer for Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development in New Delhi, India. This is a one year contract with possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and performance.
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is UNESCO’s first education-related category 1 institute towards the development and promotion of new approaches to education for a more peaceful and sustainable world. The Institute, based in New Delhi, India, aims to contribute to the conceptualization, design and formulation of regional and sub-regional strategies in education for peace and sustainable development, in particular through South-South and triangular North- South-South cooperation. MGIEP plans to provide an integrated approach to education for peace and sustainable development.
The incumbent of this post will work within the framework of Institute’s Mid-term strategy, Biennial programmes and budget consistent within overall UNESCO framework for action. This post is aimed at a candidate with experience in designing, developing and implementing new and innovative teaching and learning tools, methods and approaches; Development of Games and Apps, Creative, Innovative thinking, Experiential Labs, Proposal writing and partnering, MGIEP Visibility and Positioning.
Benefits and Entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars and exempt from income tax. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
Title: Project Officer
Post Number: 4INEDPA 003GI
Organizational Unit: Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development
Primary Location: New Delhi, India
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Annual salary: With dependent: approx. 85,129 USD
Without dependent: approx. 79,463 USD
Duration of contract: One year with possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and performance
Duties and requirements
Under the overall authority of the Director of the Institute and the direct supervision of Senior Project Officer, , and in close collaboration with other units, the incumbent will serve as Project Officer, and shall coordinate the planning, development, implementation of programme and projects of MGIEP Institute, in particular:
- Coordinate, manage and monitor the implementation of the Education for Peace, Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship through informal education system;
- Establish and maintain contact with educational specialists with a view to identifying new and innovative teaching and learning tools for the Education for Peace, Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship; Identify and coordinate analytical research on educational developments in the region, especially in informal education policy and practice in Education for Peace, Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship and overall alignment;
- Identify and analyse Regional information and reports in line with global developments and international commitments for advocacy in Peace, Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship, advocating outcomes with management for education learning and teaching tools, methods and approaches;
- Implement, coordinate, monitor and advocate for Projects related to Education for peace, sustainable development and Global Citizenship.
- Consult and liaise with multilateral and bilateral development partners to develop joint projects, programmes and activities related to the development of learning and teaching tools and methods for Education for peace, sustainable development and Global Citizenship with particular emphasis on resource mobilisation.
- Prepare and contribute to the information presented on the Institute’s website and elsewhere.
- Advanced University degree (Master or equivalent) in education development, education planning and management, or any social science related to education; PhD. background is preferable.
- At least 4 years of professional experience, acquired at national and/or international level, in education development, particularly in one of the following areas: peace and sustainable development education, education sector analyses, pedagogy techniques and methods.
- Good analytical skills and logical mind set to formulate options and recommendations; Innovative and creative thinking vis a vis ICT tools;
- Good supervisory skills. Strong writing and editing skills to communicate information and knowledge into various formats; designing, developing and implementing new and innovative teaching and learning tools, methods and approaches;
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a team and multi-cultural environment;
- Knowledge of/experience in new tools and learning techniques would be a strong asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language would be considered as an asset.
How to Apply
Application to be sent to: [email protected] (CV with cover letter) CV Form to be used or to the following address:
Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development,
35, Ferozshah Road, ICSSR Building, 1st Floor,
New Delhi – 110 001 INDIA.
Application files will have to reach MGIEP, New Delhi before 3 November 2014 midnight (India time). Please label the subject line “Project Officer”. Please note that only pre-selected candidates will be contacted. A written test may be used in the evaluation of short-listed candidates.
Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
For more information, download the Call for Project Officer at UNESCO.