Deadline: January 31, 2015
The Singapore Management University (SMU) Institute of Innovation & Entrepreneurship invites students from around the world to enter the eighth biennial Lee Kuan Yew Global Business Plan Competition. This is an event named after Singapore’s first Prime Minister who’s widely recognised as a strategic thinker and a global visionary.
Organised specially for undergraduate, college and polytechnic students worldwide, the competition continues to be a platform for entrepreneurs of tomorrow. SMU’s Institute of Innovation & Entrepreneurship is the organiser of the competition together with SMU students.
Participants will be able to showcase their business plans and entrepreneurial talents on a global stage, attract seed funding to further their business ambitions as well as extend their network of friends and business contacts through the Competition.
Participants stand to win up to US$60,000 in cash, prizes and business development opportunities. Overseas finalists will receive 5-night hotel stay in Singapore for 2 core team members.
Winners of this Competition stand to win the following:
- Finalists Prize Money
- First Prize US$36,000
- Second Prize US$12,000
- Third Prize US$3,000
- Fourth – Sixth Prizes US$500
- Most Promising Young Entrepreneur Award S$5000
**Most Promising Young Entrepreneur Award: Apart from the top 6 teams, there will also be an individual Most Promising Entrepreneur Award. This Award recognises outstanding entrepreneurial potential among the finalists. The candidate will show a passion for entrepreneurship that extends beyond the purposes of the Competition.
Finalists are to send in an essay on “Why I should be receiving the Most Promising Young Entrepreneur Award” to [email protected] by 31rd July 2015. The essay should include, but not be limited to the following:-
- Personal Statement
- Referees’ Comments
- Evidence of Entrepreneurial Potential
- Evidence of Entrepreneurial Involvements
The Competition is open to all full-time university undergraduates, college and polytechnic students (participants who are university undergraduates, college or polytechnic students during the period of 1st January 2015 – 20 August 2015 are eligible to participate).
Winners of similar competitions are invited to participate if they meet the requirements above.
- Participants are required to submit a business plan for a start-up or early stage venture. Proposals for merger/acquisitions of an existing company, consulting projects or licensing arrangements are not eligible.
- An existing business is only eligible if it has received less than US$80,000 in funding and has less than US$100,000 in gross revenue as at 31st January 2015.
- All submitted materials must be the original work of the participating team. A declaration to this effect will need to be submitted along with your proposal (click here to download declaration form).
- Each team is eligible to submit one idea. In the event of multiple submissions by a team the last submission made by the team will be considered for evaluation.
How to Participate
- Form a team. Participants can be in teams of minimum 1 person to a maximum of 5 persons (excluding faculty supervisor). Teams can be made up of a team leader and up to 4 team members. Each individual member may be a part of only one team. In the event members are part of more than one team, all such teams will be disqualified.
- Submit proposals before January 31st, 2015 for the Preliminary Round. Registration and business plan summaries are to be submitted online through this link. 20 teams will be selected and advance to the Semi-Final Round.
For more information, visit Lee Kuan Yew Global Business Plan Competition.